Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Re-introducing macaw baby

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re-introducing macaw baby

Postby greenwingmax » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:22 am

Hi all,

We have had our seven parrots for many years; the greenwings bonded some years ago and started to lay eggs twice a year. We do not want to breed birds, we have enough parrots ourselves that were given to us as unwanted pets, however it keeps our macaws happy and nothing has ever happened.

Last week, one of the eggs hatched. We were pretty shocked, we didn't think the male had it in him as they are so tame and think they are kids! After a couple of days of caring for baby, our female returned to sitting on the eggs and the chick was left out. We think the male was supposed to be keeping the chick warm but was too inexperienced to stay. We had to remove the chick and by luck we know a breeder who rushed over, took on the chick and she is doing well.

With it being our macaw's first ever baby, we wish to re-introduce the baby at some point to her parents and have them live together. My question is - how is the best way to achieve this? Should we wean the baby first, or attempt to put baby back when she doesn't need constant heat and we help to feed her? Or later than that? Just looking for advice :) Thanks everyone !! :)
greenwingmax
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 2 greenwing macaws; 2 greys; 3 senegals
Flight: Yes

Re: Re-introducing macaw baby

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:52 am

Well, if you know how to handfeed and plan on keeping the baby, it would be better for the baby to be with you. This has nothing to do with the 're-introduction' but only what I think would be best for the baby. I do not think that you can actually 're-introduce' the baby to the parents and expect the parents to care for it. I don't really have any experience on this as I have never bred a single parrot myself but I would think that, for birds, as it is for all other animals, out of sight is out of mind so to the adults, it would be just another bird that is no relation to them. Passerines would usually feed any baby that begs for it, regardless of whether the baby is their own or not but it doesn't seem to happen with parrots... So I would think that you would have to have the same care you would need if you brought a new bird to your home.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:21 pm

I don't know about the big parrots but any cockatiel will feed a baby. One male, Lemone', just couldn't wait for the parents to let a baby out of the nest. I was afraid he would hurt it but he became Nanny. The baby could beg from any of them.

I took a Starling baby out of a cat's mouth and named it Friskies. It was not big enough to be out of the nest so the cat must have raided the nest. When he was eating and flying good and the flock of Starlings were in my yard, I put him out. He begged and they took turns feeding him. When they went to nest he came back to me. It went the same way for many days after that. When the flock moved on he tried begging from my Chick Chick but she did not know how to feed him and taught him to peck as she would baby chicks.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:21 am

Yes, I have seen the same behavior in bachelor budgies. They waited until the babies were a bit older and would rush to feed them when the parents went out for food. But they were bachelors (had no mates) and the babies were been raised by the parents, too - which is not the case here and why I think that vigilance is necessary. Macaws have huge beaks and one big chomp and the baby would be toast - know what I mean?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care