Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bringing home 2 Princess Parrots, how to settle?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Bringing home 2 Princess Parrots, how to settle?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:19 am

No, parrots don't recognize themselves in a mirror, they think it's another bird. And they are preening themselves in front of it precisely because they think it's another bird -it's a courtship behavior. They are both males so they are both looking for a female which the bird in the mirror could be.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby InsanityShard » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Ah, okay... So I really should take it out then. =/
Also, I took out most of the seed from their food. Instead, I placed in a seed bar on the side that also has dried fruit and nuts in it. They don't seem to have touched it so far, but they're getting more used to their nice food. It's Vetafarm brand.
InsanityShard
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:41 am

Loose seed or a seed bar is still free-feeding seed so, please, think about feeding them some cooked whole grains - so much healthier for them!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby InsanityShard » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:20 pm

As I said, it's not their primary food. And the seed bar has a lot of dried fruit and nuts in it. They haven't even really touched it yet, though... They've just been eating the good food I gave them instead. I'm not sure they've had a seed bar before.
You know, Chatters sat on my shoulder yesterday. I started walking slowly toward the door to show my mum, then Chitters flew off and of course Chatters did too. But until he flew off he was chewing on my hair.
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:22 am

If I may ask, what is the 'good food' you have been giving them?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby InsanityShard » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Vetafarm Parrot Essentials. It's blueberry flavoured artificial food with a lot of added nutrients, and is also has nuts and chunks of dried fruit. I'm using the pellet but am thinking of using the crumble instead. I have tried my budgies on some cooked soft carrot since I can't find romaine lettuce around here, but they didn't want it.
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:56 am

Well, I don't feed pellets because, according to my research, they are not the best dietary option for parrots, especially the smaller species. The ones you feed are made of dry corn, soybeans, wheat and oats with man-made vitamins/minerals added and 5% fruit as well as oils but the actual oils or fruits are not listed on the ingredients (this is all they say: "Vegetable Oils, natural organic acids, almond chips, and dehydrated fruit" so, in reality, nobody knows what the heck they are feeding). Now, I don't feed my birds any soy or dry corn, and I also don't feed them feed grade grains, only human grade. But the biggest problem with this food for budgies is the protein. It's listed as a minimum of 17% (so, for all you know, you could be feeding 20%) and budgies need a maximum of 12% so you have a big problem right there.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby InsanityShard » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Okay, thank you, I never would have known otherwise! I'll have to go find another food. The only problem is vetafarm seems to be the only non seed food I can get them... Well, how can I make my own budgie food? I can make them like biscuits then crush them up, mum even has an old pestle and mortar!
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:03 am

Why don't you try one of the easy gloop recipes? I had a flock of more than 30 budgies and they all loved the cooked grains! It was also the only way they would eat veggies...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby InsanityShard » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:53 pm

I thought gloop was the name for baby parrot food. Still, I do want to give them a bit of variety.
InsanityShard
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care