Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bringing home 2 Princess Parrots, how to settle?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Bringing home 2 Princess Parrots, how to settle?

Postby InsanityShard » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:47 pm

When I finally get my 2 princess parrots, I would like to ensure they get the best experience to settle them into their new home. I know to leave them be in the cage for a few days, so they get used to seeing me and to get used to being inside. How do I go about letting them out for the first time among other things? I was thinking of adding a small bowl of diced fresh fruit for them as well, to help them get comfertable. I found some lists of safe fruit. I can even give them homegrown organic grapes, passionfruit and mulberries.
How long do I leave them alone for, and when should I let them into the rest of my room? My room will be set up like a mini aviary, since the birds will be mostly indoors I'd like them to be happy. I'm used to budgies as fully caged birds, and I've seen a princess parrot at the pet shop and it seems to have the same kind of behavioural signs of budgies. The Galah there didn't like me, but it kept showing its crest and everything. I didn't know, I thought it might be displaying because of my hat. The princess parrot, on the other hand, was fluffed up and shaking, which I'd seen in my budgies when they're scared. Is there anything I should look for before letting the birds out?
My room will be fully parrot safe by the time I get them in a few months. I'll have everything ready, including things like a hanging fruit bell to put over some good perching places I want the bird to perch, like the curtain rod. And yes, there will be toys hanging even from my roof and perches from the walls.
I can and will care for my parrot as much as possible. I'm even going to get my hair cut short so I don't need to use detangling spray in case my bird chews my hair or something. I'll be covering my desk when it's not in use among other things to help keep my parrot safe, too. I'm going to get a mug shaped like a toilet and a bunch of those mini bags pads go in, and potty train them to use that. XD Hopefully they won't eat the bag. If they try I'll just settle with washing the mug.
InsanityShard
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Bringing home 2 Princess Parrots, how to settle?

Postby InsanityShard » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:03 am

Well, I won't be potty training the parrots and I'll be bringing home a Budgie on Monday- it turns out I can get them as well as the princesses! So I'll be getting a nice cyan bellied Budgie I'll name Chitters. It's a boy. I have the very basics to keep him, don't worry. =P
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Wolf » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:09 am

Congratulations on getting a budgie, they are often given the short end of the shaft, but they are really quite amazing little birds in their own right.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:54 am

Two budgies together are the happiest sounding birds in the house. They don't whistle or sing but have a constant happy chatter.

I don't know about having just one. I've never had just one except Rambo but he is a person wrapped in green feathers. We amused him and kept him entertained.

There is always some one at home and my critters are never alone.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:52 am

Yes, two budgies are better than one. See if you can get another one as companion to the first (it's too stressful for such a little bird to be all alone with giant humans).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby InsanityShard » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:25 pm

I know that, I'm just getting this one now before it gets snapped up. The shade of blue on its belly isn't one I've seen before on other budgies and I have another picked out but just can't get both at the same time. However, I can at least get one and it'll only have to wait a week before I get the second one. =p My mum is going to be annoyed though... I'm still setting up to get the princess parrots, but at least the budgies will be happy and be able to play with the toys before the parrots come too. I went to the bird club and they said I can have budgies and princess parrots together. Next week I'll be getting that magnetic flyscreen curtain and some velcro strips, taking out the magnets and putting in velcro so I'll be ready to start training my budgies. At least one will be hand raised, hopefully they;ll learn from each other. The first one will be named Chitters, I bought same apples for him. =D
I have lots of experience with keeping budgies, just not with training them since I got spooked the first time as a child, but not this time!
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Pajarita wrote:Yes, two budgies are better than one. See if you can get another one as companion to the first (it's too stressful for such a little bird to be all alone with giant humans).

While 2 budgies is better than 1 its ok to have just one you don't actually have to get two as long as he has your company.Budgies are also very social and if it was my bird he would have my two cockatiels and Plum headed parakeet.Glad I looked at your post :roll:
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby InsanityShard » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:11 pm

We've had single budgies before, I know my new budgie will be fine until i get another. I spent an hour thing morning picking through the seed I bought, Black and Gold may be cheap but it's crap. I've never bought seeds that have husks in the bag until now. -_-
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:59 am

Yeah, most of the time cheap food is crap, so it usually pays off in the long run to spend a bit more to get better quality of food. Still price is not the only thing to choosing a food for your birds as there are many very expensive bird foods that are actually no better for your birds than the cheap crap. I spend a lot of time reading the ingredient list on the bags or container the food comes in or if I am ordering the food online I still find this list of ingredients and read it to try and find the best that I can in a price range that I can afford. Good food for my birds is my largest expense. This is because a good diet is so very important to their good health.

Toys and such could easily be my next biggest expense but I have learned that in most cases they seem to prefer to play with paper and cardboard as much aa with anything else that I could buy for them. Although they do like some colors, they also hate other colors, but they will be happy and play with most wooden toys that are natural colors so having colored toy is much more important to us than it is to them.

Budgies are also considered to be more of an aviary species, the same as are Princess Parrots and the taming and training methods are going to be very much the same for both species.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:09 am

In my personal experience, the one thing that budgies love the most is dry yucca slices.

But you cannot put two budgies and two princesses in the same cage. The budgies will go after the princesses, they are BIG bullies!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to General Parrot Care