Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tips and Tricks? - Advice for Rainbow?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Tips and Tricks? - Advice for Rainbow?

Postby kib1992 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:58 am

(If I have posted this in the wrong place/there is already a thread about this, I apologise)

Hello!

So, long story, but here goes:

My boyfriend works as a bird keeper at a local zoo with a walkthrough lorikeet aviary. Several months back, a little rainbow lorikeet's wing started drooping. After a week or so, vet said it was getting better so no further medical treatment was given. A month after that though, the droop was back. X-ray was done. It had fractured its wing and no one had picked up on it, so it had now fused back together on its own accord. Because of the way it fused, the bird is now unable to fly and was unable to go back into the nesting area. It was placed in the quarentine room and looked after by the 3 keepers.

Fast forward to now. Someone higher in the zoo (don't know who), has said that they need the quarantine space and, as it has been several months and with no signs of re-introducing it back into the aviary, the lorikeet needs to go. Que frantic bargaining from keepers to keep it one month more. Higher up was adiment it had to go; Take it home, put it to sleep, either way, it couldn't stay. My boyfriend, being the wonderfully soft soul he is, said that we would take it (we're also making room somewhere for 2 royal pythons that he said we'd take because they're in surplus and also "needed to go").

I do not have a problem taking this bird, in fact I'm ridiculously excited. My only problem is, I know that rainbow's tend to get attached to one person and can be "jealous". As one of the soul carers for it for the past 4 months, it's likely to already be attached to my boyfriend. I'm only going to be working 2 days a week next month due to health issues (I work as an inverterbrate keeper/presentation host at the same zoo) so I was wondering if there's any tips you guys have to help the bird and I have a good bond between us?

Also, any enrichment ideas for a bird that can't fly?

kib1992
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Flight: No

Re: Tips and Tricks? - Advice for Rainbow?

Postby Wolf » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:53 am

OK ! the first thing that I would like to do is welcome you to the forum, the second thing is to say thanks for giving this bird a home.

I really don't have a lot of knowledge specifically related to lorikeets, I believe that the person with the most hands on experience with lorikeets that posts regularly is Chantilly who lives in Australia and currently has a rainbow lorikeet of her own. She would be a good source of information in this area. I can be of more help as to general parrot behavior that may apply and as such would probably be better able to respond to more specific questions.

I do hope that you will be keeping the bird and snakes in separate rooms so that you bird does not have to live in fear of the snakes any more than it must. I only mention it because we have had some people that have had both snakes and birds but did not consider this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:45 am

Yes, welcome to the forum and your boyfriend is a KEEPER big time, my dear, so congrats on that, too!

I would not worry too much about doing anything special in order to make a bond with the bird because the thing about parrots is that they choose which human to bond with and, sometimes, there doesn't seem to be much of rhyme or reason for their choices. So, in my personal opinion, as long as you are kind, patient and loving, that's all you need to have a chance of been the 'chosen' one.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby kib1992 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:57 am

Thank you both so much! my boyfriend is definitely one in a million

Wolf: don't worry, the snakes are going downstairs as we also have rats upstairs as well (also going to be in a seperate room as the lorikeet) :)
kib1992
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:21 am

Although I never wanted birds in the first place, I now have several and have learned so much about and from them that I just can't help it, I worry about them, maybe more than I should, but ...
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:15 am

I was looking for some more information about Rainbow lorikeets to respond to another member and I came across this site, liked what I saw and thought of you. Here is the link to the site. I hope that you find it both educational and useful to you. http://www.lorikeets.com/index.htm
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:28 am

I would suggest that you let the bird finish bonding with your boyfriend. Even though they know each other a change in homes is still tramatic. When you are sure that he has adjusted to his new home I would suggest that your boyfriend does the introductions. It is no different than adopting a child.

You never know but because your boyfriend has been the care giver you may be the bird's #1.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby kib1992 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:39 am

Thank you all so much for all your help! He is all settled in and is currently munching grapes right in my ear :D He seems to have settled well. A lot of squeaking when he first came in but quiet since then. A few tiny squaks when he wants your attention. :lol:

The only thing we need to tackle is the front door. Because our front door sticks really badly, you literally have to slam it to close it, which freaks him out a bit. I'm hoping over time, he'll just realise it's a signal of whether or not someone's home. :?
kib1992
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:13 am

First question are the hinges tight where they screw into the door/ and the jamb? Second question do you own or rent?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to General Parrot Care