Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Questions about Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Questions about Cockatiels

Postby Jon » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:02 pm

I have been researching parrots almost non-stop for the past 4 months and have decided on a cockatiel. I will be getting a male, hand-fed, 3 month old cinnamon cockatiel in 4 days, (as of June 22nd 2016) and I have some finale questions before the big day! :D
I am planning on leaving him flighted, however, is it better to have his wings clipped? He will be in my room with the door closed most of the time, However I will try too take him out of my room into the house at least an hour a day (if not more.) We have vaulted ceilings (18 ft. tall) so I don't know if that will pose a problem or not (we have 2 cats but they won't ever be around when he is out, that is also why my room door will be closed all the time.)
My next question would be regarding teflon pots and pans. I know its toxic to birds but would it be fine if the bird was up stairs in my room with the door closed while teflon pots and pans are being used in the kitchen downstairs? Also how long does it take for the gases to settle, How long do I have to wait until I can take him out in the house after cooking with teflon pots and pans?
My next question is about sleep schedule. I know they require 10-12 hours of sleep but whats the latest I could put him to bed? (that sounds weird saying I am going to put a bird to bed :D) I could definitely work around his sleeping shcedule, but most of my free time is from after dinner to about 11 at night. I will definitely have time in the morning and afternoon to socialize with him if he must go to bed early. Also, should I cover his cage up at night or put a night light in the room?
This brings me to my last question which is, Do you guys have any suggestions for names? I am trying to decide between Rio, Rocky, And Donut.
Thanks
-Jon
Jon
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Questions about Cockatiels

Postby liz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:11 am

The Teflon pan itself is not a problem. The problem is when it gets overheated it emits toxins in the air. It is the same with stirofoam plates in the microwave. I still use Teflon pans when I cook at a low heat.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: Questions about Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:19 am

Welcome to the forum! I don't use any Teflon (I use stainless steel with some kind of copper bottom for even heat or something like that) but I would assume that as long as you ventilate the house after cooking, it should be OK.

If you are going to keep him flighted, you can't clip at all.

It's not a matter of how many hours of sleep, it's a matter of the bird following a solar schedule (think of chickens or the birds out in the trees) so, in the summer, he is going to sleep less and, in the winter, more. Birds need to be fully exposed to dawn and dusk for their internal clock to register the different seasons and, if you don't do this, the bird will end up with a screwed up endocrine system and, most likely, producing sexual hormones all year round (something that is not supposed to happen).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care