Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Choosing a mate for my Green Cheek

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Choosing a mate for my Green Cheek

Postby bird-lover » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi every one
I wanna buy a mate for my green cheek "Rio" which is probably a 2 year girl.
I have the following questions.I'd be thankful if you can answer them.
1)If I buy an opposite sex, do they certainly mate? even if the male is younger?
2)what is the best way to introduce them to each other? should I put the new bird in Rio's cage?
3)Is it a good way to put her in green cheek's cage in a shop for some hour, until she chooses a mate?

I'm too worried that Rio gets jealous of the new bird because she is so affiliated to me.
bird-lover
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: budgerigar, greencheeck
Flight: No

Re: Choosing a mate for my Green Cheek

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:02 pm

Getting a mate for our birds can be an interesting proposition and one of the reasons for this is that in order to protect our birds from disease we have to choose the possible mate and only introduce them after they have been in quarantine as well as having been checked out by our vet. We need to further be certain of the sex of both birds so that we know that one is a female and the other is a male. All of this needs to happen before the two birds ever meet.

Age is another consideration, but only to the extent that they are both adult birds as the adult bird will not want to associate with a juvenile bird, while the juvenile bird will want to be with the adult bird all of the time and this is a potential source of conflict between them.

Introductions begin only after the quarantine period is over and begins with simply placing their cages near each other. If they appear to be getting along together and hanging out as close as their cages will allow the next step is time out together under close supervision so that you can intervene if they do not get along so as to prevent injuries. If they bond and you leave the cages open one will move in with the other one.

This is a basic and there are others with more experience than myself that can give even better advice about how to proceed.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:13 am

No, your 'basics' are pretty much 'it'. The best possible companion for a bird is another one of the same species but the opposite gender so sexing both is essential. I would not get a baby if I want my adult bird to bond with it, I would get an adult, instead. But it doesn't really matter the actual ages of the birds as long as they are both adults.

I would NOT take my bird to a bird store! - Not if they pay me good money for it! It's way too risky! I know of three birdstores that had birds with contagious diseases and they were not only housed there, they were actually selling them!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby bird-lover » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:18 pm

Thank's guys :thumbsup:
another question: Rio is a Cinnamon. what is the best mutation to mate with her?
are there any behavioral differences between mutations?
bird-lover
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: budgerigar, greencheeck
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:02 am

No, with the exception of lovebirds which have been observed preferring mates of the same mutation as the parents, no other species seems to have that problem but I hope you are not planning on actually breeding them (I see GCCs given up on CL every single day!)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:11 am

As far as I am aware of there are no behavioral differences between the different color mutations.

The only thing that I have ever heard of about the male of any species of parrot preferring one color mutation over the next was with male parrotlets, which sometimes will not mate bond with any color mutation other than the mutation which they mate bonded with the first time. Parrotlets are very similar to lovebirds, but are more aggressive.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to General Parrot Care