Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

how to stop nesting

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

how to stop nesting

Postby vikkirikki » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:46 pm

My female lovebird is by herself in the cage now. I sold my other female bird a couple of months ago. We have been working well together :) But the last few days she has started ripping up newspaper and putting it in one of her cubbies and spending a lot of time in this cubby. So I think she is nesting again ... so I have taken out that cubby and replaced it with a climbing toy. She still has other cubbies. Is that the right thing to do? I would like to discourage her from nesting and laying eggs. Is there anything else I should do?
Thankyou
:swaying:
vikkirikki
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: how to stop nesting

Postby vikkirikki » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 am

now vikki is nesting in her fruit and veg pot :( so I took out the newspaper and put some fruit and veg in the pot. :swaying: vikki has stoped nesting in it now. but now I think she is nesting in another spot.so how do I stop her :hatching:
vikkirikki
Lovebird

Postby liz » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:41 am

One of my younger Cockatiels is laying eggs. I have held back the nesting with the others by controlling their diet and light. Tweet just is very determined.

I have one mated pair, Shadow and Tammy. There is another pair, Maggie and Andy but I have not seen them mate. (Maggie was a breeder bird who would not accept another male after her's died. The breeder gave her up because she was not use to him.) The rest are singles. I have seen Flutter mating with Lola but not bonding.

Tweet is the only one laying eggs. I don't know why. I do know that when she hatched a baby she did not know what to do with it and kicked it out of the nest.

I don't know how to stop Tweet. She eats the same food and gets the same light. I did order fake eggs in case it happens again. She has had 3 nests before hatching one.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:05 am

Even though we are past the summer solstice and they have all began their molt (at least, my birds have), they are still producing sexual hormones and will try to nest no matter what. If the bird is kept to a strict solar schedule, it's just a matter of waiting them out a bit longer, they will stop soon.

Personally, I don't believe in making it hard for them to nest. I think that procreation is such a strong and natural drive that making it easy on them ends up, in turn, making it easier on myself. My birds all eat a healthy diet with calcium and D3 supplemented adequately (I've never had a single bird produce a soft-shelled egg or become eggbound) so I actually give them nests because, this way, I will ensure they don't become chronic layers, that I will find all the eggs and that they won't be somehow traumatized by not been able to nest properly which must be stressful for them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby vikkirikki » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:14 pm

I THINK vikkis stoped nesting thanks for your help :swaying:
vikkirikki
Lovebird

Postby liz » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:33 am

The solid plastic Cockatiel eggs came in. I have been searching for any place that Tweet can nest and changing it. I hope she does not do it again but if she does, I am ready for her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:17 am

Good, Liz! :thumbsup: It will give you peace of mind - well, at least, it does to me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care