Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Bird Owner Here

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

New Bird Owner Here

Postby Birdpocalypse » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Hello. I've recently been re-homed a Green-Cheek Conure. He's about a month and a half old and I've had him for about two or three weeks now. This is the first time I've owned a parrot and though I've done quite a bit of research regarding caring for him, I'm still a little fuzzy on some of the details. If some heroic parrot veteran would be so kind as to offer some advice I would be very appreciative

One thing I'm concerned about: I understand that parrots need to be kept on a solar schedule. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it's often very cloudy and though I have his cage almost directly across from the window so it gets maximum exposure to sunlight but I'm worried that with the crappy weather it wont be enough. Do I need to get some special lights or anything like that?

In addition, I was curious as to whether or not I could have him on my shoulder without being fully trained to step up. I've been having him out of his cage (his wings are clipped, by the way) for about 2-4 hours on days I work and 4-6 on the weekends, he really likes to be on me while I do stuff but I cant have him on my hand 24/7. I don't really wanna set him down either because I'm worried he'll get into stuff or get lonely. Can he be on my shoulder as long as I'm the one who put him there? He's very well behaved while he's up there and hasn't ever really bitten me (nibbles don't count right?).

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to sex GCC that doesn't involve DNA Testing. I know it's the only surefire way to tell but the nearest Avian Vet is an hour drive and I don't really want to have him in the car for that long just to get him sexed.

If anyone has input as to the stuff I've mentioned (or any other tips) I would be very grateful! He's been a pretty well-adjusted bird so far but I wanna make sure I get everything right. :swaying:
Last edited by Birdpocalypse on Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdpocalypse
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: New Bird Owner Here

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:25 am

Actually, I would have placed his cage next to the window so that he could get out of the direct sunlight. Most parrots would be in the bushes where they are in the shade so that they don't get too hot. When I take my birds outside I place them in the shade for this very reason. They do not need direct sunlight, indirect or shaded is fine.

If the bird is happy riding on your shoulder whether you place him there or he climbs up there on his own, there is no reason to stop him as long as you are good with it as well.

I do not know of another way to be sure of the sex other than DNA testing, but you can order the kit from online and send it in yourself for much cheaper than the vet visit, however it is always a good idea to have a new bird checked out at the vet and get its first bloodwork done to establish a baseline for future reference.

Welcome to the forum and I hope this helps.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: New Bird Owner Here

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:35 am

Welcome to the forum! I would also place his cage next to the window but I would put something covering the back so he has a 'blind' side that will allow him to feel protected. But he will still need a good quality full spectrum light in the ceiling fixture of the room where he is kept (CRI 94+ and Ktemp between 5000 and 5500).

Now, you don't say but I hope the breeder showed you how to handfeed and gave some of the formula he was eating there because, at his age, he needs it at the very least, three times a day with two different types of soft food served fresh and warm twice a day. I am sorry to find out that his wings are clipped... It's very unfortunate because he won't be able to fledge properly and this means an arrested brain development but small species seem to be able to recoup some of the missing functions if allowed to regrow their primaries and learn how to fly during their juvenile molt (only, sometimes, they never molt these primaries). Because of this fact, I would urge you to consider allowing his feathers to grow back.

It doesn't matter where he is -shoulder, lap, etc- as long as he is ON you for hours and hours and hours every day. These birds don't leave the nest until they are months old and that means having company 24/7 - therefore, for a baby bird to be alone for hours and hours and hours is extremely traumatic and scary (as it is for every single baby animal on earth, including humans). But, aside from that, GCCs are as needy as cockatoos and need hours and hours of daily one-on-one time so this is something that you will need to do for as long as the bird is alive or the 'well-adjustment' you see now will disappear. Babies are always trusting and loving even when they are been shortchanged in their needs (which almost every single baby parrot out there is, mind you) but, once they become sexually mature and self-confident, the 'niceness' disappears unless you have been doing everything right (which is NOT easy with parrots!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care