Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Found a baby fledgling help!!!!!

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Found a baby fledgling help!!!!!

Postby Camilo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:49 pm

So yeah yesterday night my father was coming back from work and saw a baby bird in the ground and took it home so no cat would eat it or anything like that. so yeah we are planning to release him back to the wild but he can't fly yet. Should I keep him for one more day or what. I also gave him water and a piece of lettuce because he wouldn't eat my conures food. Any advice
Camilo
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure
Flight: No

Re: Found a baby fledgling help!!!!!

Postby Camilo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:50 pm

Right now he's sleeping btw
Camilo
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:05 am

There is a time of the year that babies no longer fit in their nests but can't fly yet. I call it "bombing out" because they just jump when their parents tell them. The parents will then take them to cover of tall grass or bushes. Most of the time the parents are fast enough to get one to cover before the next one "bombs out" but not always. The best thing to do is watch the little bird for about a half hours to see if it will be claimed and taken away. They are at the mercy of everything since they are so helpless.

Story: One evening at sundown I heard a strange noise. My pets were not in yet so I went outside. What I saw was my dog pocking a baby bird to make it squeak. I brought the dog in but heard it again. This time my cat was poking it so I brought the cat in. Birds don't fly at night so when it got dark I brought it in and fed it. The next morning when I opened the front door their was another little one in the same place I found the first. I grabbed the one I had and put it out beside the second one. The parents took him first then the second one. It is a myth that they won't take a baby that has been touched.

Because the baby was moved from where his parents are I have another story. It is about a baby starling that I named Friskies because I took him from a cats mouth. He was at the "bombing out" stage too. I look around but did not see any parents looking for him so I took him in. I fed him softened dry cat food and little pieces of fruit the way I was taught at the Zoo's Wildlife Rehab. He could not be put out until he was able to fly well. When he started flying a saw a flock of wild Starlings in my back yard and put him in the window. He flew out and begged food from that flock and they all fed him. His parents were probably in that flock since they nested in my back yard but did not claim a grown baby. He would go out and beg the others every day even though I was feeding him. When the flock moved on I knew the babies were now grown enough to fly with them but Friskies did not go with them. Instead he would go out the window and beg my chicken for food. She taught him to peck. The flock came back to roost in my backyard that night so I left the window open a little. In the morning the flock came down to eat the bread I put out and Friskies joined them. I closed the window and he had no choice but to go with them. He came back every spring with the flock that always nested in my yard. I was surprised to find him on my window sill. He came back to say hello but I did not let him in. He spent a lot of his time chirping at me through the window until the flock flew away and him with them.

Since he was moved his parent can't find him. A Zoo Wildlife Rehab center ( I fed 50+ when I volunteer in the spring) will take him or you could take care of him until he is able to fly away.
Since birds don't fly at night their babies don't get fed so if you raise him you do not have to do night feedings.

Good luck.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:03 am

But hurry up or he will die as he has already been without any food for an entire day!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Camilo » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:53 am

is there anything I can feed it that I may have at home
Camilo
Parrotlet

Postby Camilo » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:57 am

And I will try to put him back where my father found him, hopefully his/her parents will be Around
Camilo
Parrotlet

Postby Camilo » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:36 pm

OK so I'm pretty happy now because I gave him a long piece of lettuce and he managed to eat the entire thing. Atleast I know that he has ate something for now
Camilo
Parrotlet

Postby Camilo » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:23 pm

Okay this is my last post for now but update on the bird. He now eats almost every veggie I give him like brocalli and lettuce so feeding him isn't a problem no more.
Camilo
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:33 am

Camilo wrote:And I will try to put him back where my father found him, hopefully his/her parents will be Around

I think it is too late to put him back. His parents have probably moved on with his siblings.
You can feed him any fruit or veg as long as you cut it to the size he can swallow. You can also give him a bit of meat such as hamburger to replace the bugs his parent would feed him.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:41 am

If you post some pictures, I may be able to find out what species of bird it is and maybe what it would normally eat.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to General Parrot Care