Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How long can I spend away from my Budgie?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

How long can I spend away from my Budgie?

Postby Joelington » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:26 pm

I want to get a budgie but I have read that birds can get depressed or sick if you don't spend much time with them. I currently go to school which is 6 hours long and 5 days a week will that be okay? Note that I am extremely willing to bond with my bird as soon as I get home for as long as Half an hour to 1 and a half hours and even more on weekends. So is 6 hours too much? I'll appreciate all feedback I get. Thank you. (I can get 2 birds but I would prefer just the one)
Joelington
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: How long can I spend away from my Budgie?

Postby liz » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:24 am

That is very little time to spend with him and not enough outside time. 2 budgies would keep each other busy. I don't believe that two do not bond as well to humans as one does.

They each have a different personality. The one who bonds first will teach the other that you are safe and a friend. If one is adventurous it will learn all kinds of things from you and teach the other. When it comes to food you have to teach them what to eat by eating with them. You would be the leader for them to follow.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:24 am

You could get away with it as long as the bird has a mate or companion. Budgies never do well on their own - NEVER! This is because they are not handfed (so they don't imprint to people) and because they are intensely flock-oriented - they are so little that been by themselves is just way too stressful for them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:41 am

When I got my first Cockatiel Rocko I was going to school for 6 hours 4 days a week and he would usually be calling Tiko my African grey so even though he was alone they kinda had each other but eventually I got another Cockatiel Female Loki and they do everything together and now I have a Plum headed parakeet Mango so they all have each other while I'm in school.Obviously im not in school now though lol because I'm on my Summer holidays so I can spend as long as possible with them.You could always get two hand fed babies that way they will have each other and form a bond with you too.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Return to General Parrot Care