Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Parrot Posts

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

New Parrot Posts

Postby shiraartain » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:43 am

One of my relatives got a pair of chicks and a parrot. The only info i have on the parrot is that it is a Nepalese parrot, but not an Alexandrine. I'm trying to find one of the posts on the forum about bringing a new bird home, but can't seem to locate any right now. Can someone link me to one, please? To elaborate, I mean one of the posts that has informed starting from "leave the bird along for a few days, let it get used to you", etc.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: New Parrot Posts

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:20 am

Well, all the Nepalese species are psittaculas except for the Vernals so, if they can describe it, we might be able to figure out which species it is.

Wolf might be able to help with the link to a good thread on bringing home a new parrot (is this bird a baby?)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:01 am

There are so many of the posts that you are looking for that I can't count them, but the problem is that they mostly started off as a question about something else and then it became clearer that the party needed to begin from the beginning so the information is in various places in the posted topic. I just finished answering a post that the OP was looking for how to progress with a young parrot that they had just brought home the day before. I hope that this is what you are looking for Let me know.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15840
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:31 am

You should tell your relatives to join this site so they can pose their own questions here.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby shiraartain » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks Wolf, I sent it to them immediately after I saw that post. It fit the situation perfectly.

Unfortunately, the next day my cousin popped into chat to announce that the bird had flown away. Since they're geographically close to Nepal, I'm hoping it will find a flock and be okay.

I'd tell you how it got away, but she remained vague about that. "It just happened somehow."
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:18 am

Such a shame.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:36 pm

Oh, geez! This is one case when I hope from the bottom of my heart that the bird was a wild-caught and not captive-bred!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:19 am

If it survives with preditors out there it will find a flock even if they are not parrots.

My Bubba got out and stayed around for 3 days out of reach. We had a wild flock of Starlings in our back yard and he slept with them at night. When the flock moved on he moved with it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to General Parrot Care