Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Copd sufferer

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Copd sufferer

Postby Suffolk » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:01 pm

Has anyone who owns an African grey and suffers from copd any tips on reducing dander?
Suffolk
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Copd sufferer

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:22 pm

Good air filters, and bathing as much as they'll tolerate. Daily if they will. And don't tell your doctor because they'll just give you crap.

I have both obstructive and restrictive lung problems. I seem to have a much harder time with cockatoos, tha with greys, but some greys are dustier than others. We even have a little, bald, CAG, and she is super dusty. I don't know where the dander comes from with her. It's supposed to come from the edge of the feathers, but she only has feathers on her head!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:23 pm

What about the down feathers? Kookooloo sheds a fair amount of dust from them. You can also mist the catch try with water as often there is feather dust in the tray at the bottom of the cage and the water will weight the dust down.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Wolf wrote:What about the down feathers? Kookooloo sheds a fair amount of dust from them. You can also mist the catch try with water as often there is feather dust in the tray at the bottom of the cage and the water will weight the dust down.

Nadia is bald. She pulls out all the down feathers, too. It's pretty much hear her head and a few on the wing.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:08 pm

Photobucket won't let me resize, tonight. Nadia is the sweetest bird, but she is a bad plucker. She's just young, too. 7 or 8.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:35 am

The best you can do is to reduce the dander as much as possible. You can wear a mask when you change cages, use a good air filter to clean the air, and vacuum often with a hepa filter. I dont have COPD but i have asthma, and the only way to keep my asthma in check with the parrots is to keep everything cleaned constantly.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Suffolk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:02 am

Thank you so much for all your replies, am so grateful.
Suffolk
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey

Postby liz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:33 am

I have no problem with the Amazons but the Cockatiels can mess up their room with dust, dander and seed shells.
I mist my Cockatiels. It is really a funny sight to have them come running to me like a flock of chickens waiting for their grain. I then have to mist the room to hold down the dust before I sweep. I have an air filter in the room but that can only work so much with that many birds flying free in their own room.
I am considering a humidifier put high to hold the dust down and give the Cockatiels the humidity that they would get in the wild.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:45 am

Navre wrote:Image

Photobucket won't let me resize, tonight. Nadia is the sweetest bird, but she is a bad plucker. She's just young, too. 7 or 8.

She looks so contented in the picture. Have you considered Aloe Vera and a body sock?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:17 am

Awwww, poor naked Nadia! I hope she finds a home where she is loved and content!

I have COPD and the only time I have trouble with it is during the winter and right before I clean the air purifier and I have two cockatoos and two grays (the preventives they have nowadays are FABULOUS!)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to General Parrot Care