Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockateil male is very quiet

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Cockateil male is very quiet

Postby Vikram » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:34 am

My male cockateil( vikram) has been a active whistler but from past few days he is very quite. Also on the other hand my female (urvashi) is trying to mimic male whistles. I had changed the place of their cage last week, can it be the reason for such a behaviour? Can anyone suggest something?
Vikram
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 indian ringneck parrot
1 budgie
1 pair of cockateils
Flight: Yes

Re: Cockateil male is very quiet

Postby liz » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:53 am

Welcome to the forum.

It could be many reasons why your male is quiet. Watch him close in case it is some kind of illness. Being prey animals they try to hide their problems. Some times we do not catch on until it is too late.
Keep him on a low protein diet and watch what he does out of the ordinary. If his eating habits have changed or his poop is bad and not as much as it should be. Get him to an avian vet.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Vikram » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:49 am

Thanks liz ! Though he seems alright but will definitely look for the signs.
Vikram
Parakeet

1 budgie
1 pair of cockateils

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:52 am

I do not have cockatiels, but I do know that the change in the placement of the cage could be the cause of his becoming quiet, This is to not attract any possible predators that may be in the new area. Also it is possible that it could be a sign of illness. If a bird is normally vocal and suddenly stops then it is likely to be due to an illness. While based on your post I think that this is due to the movement of the cage, I would still watch for any other behavioral changes as well as changes in his poops and his eating habits or any other thing that could indicate an illness.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:11 am

Hmmm well, the changing of the spot where the cage is placed could make a difference but, usually, it's not so much the new spot per se but the different environmental 'cues' they get from it. For example, if the cage was against a wall and a few feet from a window and it's moved smack in front of the window (where there are birds outside) and has no 'blind' side any longer, the birds could feel scared and stop vocalizing. But, if only one bird is quiet and the other is not, I would say that, chances are, there is something going on with the quiet one so, if I were you, I would separate them, place the quiet bird where he used to be and watch him carefully.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Vikram » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:11 am

I took vikram to the vet yesterday, and he said everything is fine with his health :greycockatiel:
So as you two said its most probably the changes that i have made to their environment. Hopefully they will get used to the new settings.
Vikram
Parakeet

1 budgie
1 pair of cockateils

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:15 am

Was there bloodwork done? Because I don't know of a single vet that can give you bloodwork results the same day, they usually need a day or two...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care