Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Time Management

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Time Management

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:33 pm

How many hours a day does your bird spend out of the cage? How much interaction time does it get with you? How much time is spent on training activity? If you have multiple birds, mention how much time in these categories with them overall as well as what portion of that time could be consider individual one on one time with each bird.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Time Management

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:40 pm

My birds come out one hour in the morning before I go to work.
Normally Shade comes and spends about 20 minutes with me then.
My boyfriend alternates between Petey and Joey or has them both.
Zuri will either come see me for some head scratches or will go hang out on the gym.
Piper tends to spend most of that time on me.

Then they come back in the evening, from anywhere from 2 to 3 hours.
Joey tends to spend a lot more time with me in the evenings, getting his head scratched or playing.
Zuri is also more attention needy in the evening but I could not give an amount of time, since it's not always regular. When she wants personal attention, I give it to her since she's one of the less needy in that regard (she's perfectly content playing with toys on her own at times).
Shade will come again to see me from anywhere from 30min to an hour to get one-on-one; head scratching, playing or just cuddling.
Piper will once again try to spend as much time as she can with me and normally Petey gets to spend a lot more time with my boyfriend since Joey comes to me.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Re: Time Management

Postby MandyG » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:16 pm

During the work week Mojo will be out with me the entire time I'm home. This ranges from 1-4 hours depending on whether or not I have school that night. If I don't have class that night I'll spend some time doing training and some time just cuddling/petting/playing with him. Some days when I have class my husband will bring him out to play on his perch for an hour or so before I get home but he's not comfortable enough with him to play with him or train him.

On weekends he'll be with me most of the day with a few breaks every couple of hours when he's in his cage. He'll shower with me in the morning and he'll sit with (on) me when I'm doing homework and he'll usually be on my shoulder while I'm doing some chores or other things around the house. If he's not with me he's playing on his perch.

I spend more time just being with him and playing with him than I do training right now. Only because it's easy to hang out with him and scratch him while doing homework but it's impossible to train at the same time ;) .
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Return to General Parrot Care