Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots got attacked by fox

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Parrots got attacked by fox

Postby michaelflynn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:26 am

We have a parrot family that regularly visits our lawn. Last night my husband noticed that they were attacked by a wild fox and the male parrot is dead and the female is close to it’s death. By god’s grace both the baby parrots are safe. I have been living in this place for the past ten years and haven’t seen any fox here. Today morning we had a search for the fox in our neighbourhood and found a fox family in the unoccupied villa near our house. I don’t wish to kill them but want to relocate them from my neighbourhood. I saw this website(http://removethewild.com) about a wildlife relocater but haven’t fixed it. I want to remove the foxes without harming them.Can anyone give suggestions regarding this.
michaelflynn
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: parrots
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrots got attacked by fox

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:38 am

What ever you have that is like a department of wildlife or a fish and game commission, they go by different names in different countries, they are who you need to contact. Some foxes are listed as endangered species and disturbing them could be illegal.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:51 am

Well, although situations like these are heartbreaking for anybody who loves animals, it is, after all, nature at work. Personally, I would not call any private party on this (I would not trust them, to tell you the truth) but I would consult with the wildlife dept as to possibilities. Having said that, I would just care for them babies and take the wounded bird to an avian vet to see if it can be saved and leave the foxes alone (it's not as if they are doing anything wrong, right?)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby michaelflynn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:56 pm

I'm so happy to inform you that the wounded parrots are safe now. Thanks for all your advises...
michaelflynn
Parakeet

Postby liz » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:10 am

Call the local zoo's Wild life rehab. They may help catch it or put you in contact with the right people.

Yes it is the way of the wild for the fox but I would have them moved. I would not want to see such a thing again.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby michaelflynn » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:46 am

Thanks for the reply liz. I've relocated the foxes safely with the help of above mentioned relocator
michaelflynn
Parakeet

Return to General Parrot Care