Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Strange cockatiel behavior

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Strange cockatiel behavior

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:28 pm

SmokeyJef wrote:His light schedule is actually 100% solar. I set him right next to a window, so when the sun comes up, he gets up. However, I work 3rd shift, so I tend to come home at 4-5am, which may not help. As for the diet, he eats the Bonanza brand food. I don't fill up his bowl all the way, only enough to cover the bottom of the dish. As I mentioned before, I talk to him every day, which does involve feeding him. It tends to take him a day or two to go through what I give him, so he isn't starving by any means, but he isn't overfed either.

Edit: I did want to mention that the dish is a pretty big dish for cockatiels. I'm fairly certain his cage is meant for parrots as it is quite large, so the bowls that come with it are also parrot-sized. That's why I don't give him a ton of food.

Also wanted to point out that my parakeets don't seem to be acting any differently. They're shy, but they're acting normal.

I have all different species and they all talk to each other and chirp at the same time even my African grey try's to speak the same way.Did you know Cockatiels are also Parrots.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:20 am

SmokeyJef wrote:Update: I've moved the budgies into the room with the cockatiel. Initially they were all thinking "What the....?" but they've mostly been chirping and acting normally. Yay.

However, Buster's feathers haven't been getting better. I've been putting small slices of apple in his food bowl along with the Bonanza food, but he won't eat the apple.

Out of the 50+ cockatiels I've had, only two ate apple and then just a couple of bites. Tiels are not fruit eaters but all of mine ate all the veggies in the gloop and LOVED their greens.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Same with mine they don't touch fruit but love their greens
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Previous