Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

ACK! Fruitflies

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

ACK! Fruitflies

Postby Viatrixa » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:32 pm

I wasn't entirely certain weather this the right place for this topic, but... well, we have fruitflies.

Albeit harmless they are incredibly annoying to us the humans, and Simo himself seems a bit confused at them buzzing around. :/ Our house is very clean but they seem to congregate around our vegetable bowl and Simo's veggie bowl too. Does anyone have any bird friendly tips on getting rid or even reducing their irritating population? Obviously pesticies are out of the question, but I heard vinegar works. Would that be bird safe?
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: ACK! Fruitflies

Postby Wolf » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:19 pm

I don't know if vinegar does or does not repel fruit flies or not, but I do give the raw organic apple cider vinegar to my birds as an aid to digestion. The only toxic effect that I am aware of is the fumes from hot vinegar.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:17 am

I started by buying the traps from Fosters and Smith. They can be found almost every where now even hardware stores. The flies are attracted and get stuck. Keep your pet food in sealed containers or in the freezer until you get rid of them. They can be wiped out but they are discusting when they reproduce. If seed is in a bag instead of a sealed container I put it in the freezer to kill out anything living in there.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:33 am

Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:08 pm

Wolf wrote:I don't know if vinegar does or does not repel fruit flies or not, but I do give the raw organic apple cider vinegar to my birds as an aid to digestion. The only toxic effect that I am aware of is the fumes from hot vinegar.

Cider vinegar attracts fruit flies and thats how you get rid of them.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:10 pm

Keep the vegetable bowl away for now and get another bowl and fill it with cider vinegar and put clear film over the bowl and poke small holes in and the flies will go inside and wont be able to escape and then they die.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:46 pm

Just did some reading in an article posted by Pajarita and discovered that although you can use white vinegar for cleaning, you must also rinse well as white vinegar can be harmful to your bird if it ingests any of it. So if you have birds use only apple cider vinegar.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Viatrixa » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:38 pm

:D We managed to reduce the little bleeps! We took a plastic container, put apple cider vinegar into it, covered it with cellophane, poked a few holes into it and that caught them. They got trapped in there. YAY!
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:38 am

Viatrixa wrote::D We managed to reduce the little bleeps! We took a plastic container, put apple cider vinegar into it, covered it with cellophane, poked a few holes into it and that caught them. They got trapped in there. YAY!

Thats great, We used to get a lot of them and now I haven't seen any in a long time
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:58 am

They can come in on any dry foods. I freeze everything for a day to kill what ever is in there. They will get into flour and cereals too. An infestation will cause a lot of food loss. The pantry moth can be controlled or eliminated. What is discusting is their larva. They are light colored and almost invisible until they are too many to kill at once.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Next

Return to General Parrot Care