Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Microchipping or leg banding?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Microchipping or leg banding?

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:15 pm

What's wrong with open bands?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby pchela » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:36 pm

The closed bands can only be put on when the baby is very small so it is proof of age when the band has a date. Before the import ban people would put open bands on wild caught birds and some older birds were perhaps sold as young, hand fed babies. Anyway, open bands are not trustworthy.
Last edited by pchela on Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:42 pm

Oh, so it has nothing to do with the actual band technicalities, just a trust issue? I'm buying from Jean Pattison so I cannot imagine that to be a problem? She said the Cape baby is already too old for a closed band.
Michael
Macaw

Postby pchela » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:24 am

Nope, nothing to do with the band technicalities. U.S. breeders use closed bands so they can distinguish illegally imported birds. I don't know how much of a problem it is nowadays. Is Jean Pattison going to put an open band on your Cape? I have one banded and one not. My breeder said it just depends on when he pulls the babies whether they get a band or not. Lots of people have the bands removed anyway because some believe them to be hazardous. In any case, if she does put an open band on your Cape it won't be a problem because you know it's not an imported bird and you know it's age etc.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Natacha » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 am

Open bands are dangerous.

The chances of the band getting caught in something are much MUCH higher with an open band vs a closed band. Just think about it, that slit there will allow the band to catch on to just about anything.

Open bands are a bad idea.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:39 pm

Good point. I wasn't thinking of the dangers of an open band. I've never even seen one. If it's dangerous Michael then I doubt that Jean Pattison will put one on your Cape.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Well I know. She's giving me the option of no band, open band, or micro chipping. My reasons for opting for a band is because I'm going to be keeping the parrot flighted. With an indoor flighted parrot (and outdoor harness too) there's a higher risk of it ending up some place. Also I travel with my parrots a lot and don't want to have to try to explain/prove to someone that it is in fact a captive raised bird and I own it. The micro chip deal would only help if it all gets involved but showing or seeing a band seems to settle matters quicker than the micro chipping deal.

I don't think I should have a parrot without some kind of identification under my circumstances. Does everyone agree that open band is my best solution at this point as the cape baby is too big already for a closed band?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 pm

I don't.

I have heard countless horror stories about injuries resulting from open bands. A lot of veterinarians recommend removing such bands as they are a real danger. I would not get it.
Microchipping for larger birds is no issue, I would go down that path.

It might be more convenient to show a band as identification, but I would not take the risk.
I'm assuming you'll get papers if the bird gets microchipped and ask Jean to provide you with a certificate that your bird is indeed on of hers and this might be all that is required. They can always scan the bird for the chip if it doesn't suffice.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:49 pm

What did you decide Michael? Also, have you picked a name? Do you know the sex yet?
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Don't know sex, haven't picked name. Jean assures me that a well crimped open band will never cause a problem. That typically the problems are caused by a poorly closed band. Most people agree with me that the band is the simpler identifier so I'm probably going for an open band at this point.
Michael
Macaw

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care