Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Daily Routine/Schdedule

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Daily Routine/Schdedule

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:37 pm

Similar to the topic about time management, this one is about bird time as well. But this one is more about the order and routine rather than proportions of time like the other topic.

Talk about what your bird does and your involvement as a typical daily routine.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Daily Routine/Schdedule

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:43 pm

As an example, here is Kili's new daily routine:

10AM uncovering, veggie meal in cage (I leave for work)
10-11AM munching away at veggies, picking up leftovers from bottom
11AM-6PM preening, playing with toys, napping, doing stuff birds do
6PM get really excited to see me come back and scream if I walk by not letting out
6:30-7:30PM out for indoor freeflight time mostly hanging on me
7:30-9:00PM take a break in cage while I cook and eat dinner
9:00-10PM training, interaction, and some more free time
10-10:15PM pellet dinner and covering for bed

On some days that 9-10PM slot is split between Kili and Duke. I used to have them out together but Kili tries to attack him now that she flies. Duke's been a bit under the weather lately so I've been taking it easy with him until he's better.

Until my new hours, I used to work with Kili and train her in the mornings but she usually need 2-3 hours of no food in the morning to wake up until she actually wants to train. Lately I've given up on morning training because she would be completely uncooperative. But on the other hand she's been much more focused and better at evening sessions as a result by channeling all her motivation then.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Daily Routine/Schdedule

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:45 pm

Out from 6h20 to 7h20: they wake up (some birds take longer than others to wake up *cough*Shade*cough*) and they either play on their gyms or come and sit on us. When they go back in they get their breakfast (usually a small piece of whole wheat and grain toast with a small piece of fruit.

They then come back out when we get back home from work, from around 5pm to 6pm. They go back in at 6pm and get their supper, either the mix of veggies I've spoken of before or they wait a bit longer and get part of my supper. They go in regardless since I don't want them out while I'm using the stove (parrot fricassee is not something I want to do ;) ).

They come back out around 7pm (sometimes before, depending on how supper goes) and stay out up until 9pm, sometimes 8pm depending on how they are behaving.

This is a normal week schedule. On the week-end it tends to be different; don't come out as early in the morning and they spend more time out of their cages. Bed time is around 8pm on the week-end.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Return to General Parrot Care