Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Conure Breeding Question/Bringing home a second conure

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Conure Breeding Question/Bringing home a second conure

Postby shiraartain » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:33 am

Long story short, the time has come to bring home a friend for Fajr. I've picked out a nice, large cage that I will order around December. I was looking at conure breeds, and I want to know if breeding is possible between a peach fronted conure and a green cheek? I'm asking because I DON'T want fertilized eggs. If I can't locate one by summer, then i'll start adding gccs to the search.

I'm putting this off until December because I will graduate then and have free time to search up pfcs and contact local rescues (and also do Fajr's DNA test). They were my first choice before gccs actually, but there are barely any to be found in Michigan, aside from the babies sold by the bird store.

Also, Fajr has stopped chasing Lemon & Clover when all three of them are out, but they still can't perch in the same place. I'm hoping spring hormones will accelerate the bonding process with his new bird friend. Thoughts?
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: Conure Breeding Question/Bringing home a second conure

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:21 am

They are of a different Genus, so I think it is likely that they would not produce fertile eggs if they did mate, but since I really have no experience with the breeding of birds, I really can't say for certain. the easiest way to be certain to not have fertilized eggs is to get a set of dummy eggs for the female of the two and then to switch any eggs that might be produced.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:00 pm

All the GCCs I've had never had a problem with another bird but Marie, a member here, got another GCC for her male and, last we heard from her, she had not been able to get them to accept one another so whereas before I thought that all of them were like mine, apparently, there are some that are not so make sure you have the room for still another cage (space was limited to the point that you had to put your birds in the basement, right?) because if they never bond, they will both require their own cage and time spent with them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby shiraartain » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:47 am

I'll be moving out next year hopefully, so there should be space in whatever apartment or rented place I end up in. But good point Parjarita, if the rescues have any I'll discuss my circumstances with them so we can discuss how to proceed forward and plan for that situation. Fajr has already been introduced to new birds once and is now pretty used to sharing the attention, so hopefully that helps with the new introduction.

Thanks for the information Wolf. Now that I'm counting up expenses of the new friend and shouldering costs of the current ones myself, it's really hitting me how expensive birds are :o . Will add dummy eggs to my list of items that need to be purchased.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:13 am

You know what would be the ideal situation? For you to foster a female GCC for a rescue. Because, this way, if Fajr bonds with her, you can adopt her and, if he doesn't, she can be adopted out and you can try again with another one.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care