Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Average weight for a female senegal parrot?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Average weight for a female senegal parrot?

Postby JaydeParrot » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:43 pm

Hi I'm a bit concerned on my sennie Cain's weight, I usually try to keep her at 121 grams (preferably 124 grams), I hadn't weighed her in a few day but when I did she seemed to average at 115 grams). I've met two people who've owned sennies and both said that Cain seemed a bit small for her species (some people have refered to her as a budgie before- it was unappreciated, :shock: ). Last time I went to the avian vet though (I believe she weighed in at 121 grams) he said that she was on the heavy side of healthy and discouraged me from getting her any heavier.

I was just wondering what any sennie owners out there might think is the average weight for a female/ what the weight of your sennie tends to be.

She's been weighing in at 114 to 115 grams every morning and I can't seem to get her any heavier than 118 grams by the end of the day.

Touch wood, she seems healthy enough, if not a bit more active than her usual perch-potato self- flying over to me from her cage, landing on relatives shoulders and being a nusiance. She seems to want to play, roll on to her back, stuff that she'd usually not interested in doing.

She's finally stopped trying to regurgitate for me (head pumps were given a stern stop it/ no), I wonder whether shes decided she doesn't need to eat so much since she doesn't need to feed me.

Anyways, I'd love to hear from as many sennie owners as possible, their idea on what the average weight should be for a female sennie, thanks.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: Average weight for a female senegal parrot?

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:48 pm

I've met female Senegals ranging from 100-150g. Around 125g is probably most typical. But when they're at 125g, they're pretty porky and really should only be around 115g. Senegals love to put on extra weight. They just eat and eat till they drop.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:09 pm

I don't think you can go with any one weight as been 'normal', it has to be a range because birds not only vary in size, they also gain and lose weight depending on the season as well as the level of activity (muscle been heavier than fat) so I would not worry about it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:28 pm

I could not find anything on the average weight of a Senegal Parrot based on its sex, the only thing I found was an average weight range for Senegals overall which was between 110g. and 170g. And a notation that the female of the species is slightly smaller in size than the male. So if her weight is between 110g. and 150g she should be good weight wise. At least I would think. I do need to weigh Kiki again soon so as soon as I do that I will ley you know what she weighs, perhaps others that also have female Senegals could do the same which could help you to establish your own range of weights for the female of this species.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:44 am

I have to get batteries for my digital scale but, when I do, I will weigh Zoey and post it here.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:07 pm

They do have a weight range depending on size and it is important to find what that weight is for your size of Poi. My Meyers is a small Meyers and he weighs 106 gm. My Red Belly is bigger than my meyers and she weighs 116 gms. My daughters Meyers is the same size as my Red Belly, he is a big Meyers, and he weighs 116gm. My daughters Senegal is bigger than my Meyers but smaller than my Red Belly and my daughters Meyers. I can tell by feeling around the breast bone if my Pois are a good weight and I had an avian vet show me how to do that. My Pois are very active, and are in very good shape at their current weight.

What is important about the weight is to find what is a healthy weight for your parrot and then to weigh them at least once weekly, so you can detect changes that could tell you your parrot is showing signs of illness with a weight drop or overweight.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:13 am

Hmmmm, I'll be honest with you, I don't think that weighing a bird all the time is useful unless you've had that bird for a loooooong time, have kept accurate records AND understand about birds circannual biorhythms. The reason I say this is that birds that are kept to a solar schedule and have a different diet in breeding and in resting season, will show a fluctuation that is quite noticeable but that is, precisely, the way it should be. Birds bulk up when the breeding season starts but they lose quite a lot of weight as it goes on, then, during molt, they start bulking up again just to lose the extra weight and then some during the winter just to start the whole cycle again as the days start getting longer. This is not only completely normal but, actually, VERY healthy for them because it is what nature intended as ALL birds are seasonal feeders. Problem is, people think that birds are like people and when they lose or gain a bit of weight, they worry...

Right now, my birds are eating A LOT of gloop (I would say about twice as much as they were eating two months ago) and they are all gaining weight but I don't worry one bit about it because this is what I expect (and hope for) this time of the year.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Of course they fluctuate seasonally. I have always weighed my parrots at least every week, so I can clearly see what their natural rythms are. My avian vet in Victoria told me it is essential to do this so you can pick up a sudden change which is an indication of illness and parrrots do not show many symptoms unless it is too late, and it is an important part of husbandry. If you weigh once a week you will never see a big change unless there is a problem, and record keeping is easy, I only mark down when there is a change and it takes hardly any time at all.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Yes, but that is because you've had her for many years but I think that brand new parrot keepers would worry unnecessarily if they see their weight going up or down steadily for two or three weeks and might put the bird on a diet to lose or gain when, in reality, it's what it should be and nothing to worry about - that's why I mentioned it. To tell you the truth, I don't weigh myself or any of my animals once a week and all the avian vets that have mentioned the regular weighing have always said once a month...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General Parrot Care