Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal question

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Senegal question

Postby Imagonner2 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:11 pm

I have noticed small white feathers floating around in last week. Not a lot just a few. I have a 4 month Senegal is this normal ?
Imagonner2
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Re: Senegal question

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:38 pm

I am thinking that this is not a problem, but do not really have enough information about your bird and what is going on to say anything that would be considered to be remotely accurate. Still it is fairly normal to see a few feathers at this time of the year. To say any more than this we would need ore information and perhaps pictures of the bird and the feathers.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:51 pm

Welcome to the forum! Are you 100% sure the bird is only 4 months old? Because, usually, the juvenile molt doesn't start until they are about 6 months old...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby EllenD » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:42 pm

Is he preening a lot? I ask because though he's not old enough for his first molt if he's only 4 months old, if it's only a few white feathers it may just be him preening the down underneath his flight feathers. I say this because my blue Quaker parrot will be preening himself while he's sitting on my shoulder while I'm watching TV, and then I'll look at him and he's got one of those little white down feathers hanging off of his beak. Before I know it I'll see them floating around the room. Add the tumbleweeds made of my cattle dog's undercoat that blow past the couch and it's like cleaning up a zoo...
EllenD
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 14
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon-Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Blue Monk Parakeet
12 EnglishxAmerican Budgies

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Yes, I understand what you are saying, Ellen. But down feathers only come out during molt when they preen and the juvenile molt doesn't start until they are 6 months old so something doesn't quite add up...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:11 pm

I dont know if you have done your first vet check yet, but it is most likely nothing to worry about. Pois are very vigorous preeners, and if there was anything loose it can float around. With a baby Poi, they can do their juvenile moult early after being moved or just a very small partial moult when that young after a move.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Return to General Parrot Care