Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flighted Senegals in the Home

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Flighted Senegals in the Home

Postby NJBirdMan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:36 am

I am just curious to hear from Senegal owners what it is like to live with a Flighted Senegal in the home.
And how many of you allow your Senegal to be on your shoulders? When I had my Nanday Conure I was never comfortable with him being on my shoulder, and that is always where he wanted to be.
I had a fear of being bitten in the face or ear, and when it came time to remove him and take my hand up to my opposing shoulder to remove him, I was always fearful he would bite me.
I have never had a fully flighted Parrot in the home. So, when I get my Senegal Parrot in the Spring I am a little nervous about this. So thanks for sharing your experiences with me.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, 1 Female Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Flighted Senegals in the Home

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:39 pm

All my birds are flighted and I have 6 of them (2 of them senegals) loose everyday and yes, they all perch on my shoulders (or my head) but they also hang on to my chest, my back, the edge of my clothing, etc. Now, when it comes to fearing their bites... well, let me tell you, you can't have a good relationship with an animal that you are afraid of handling. It just doesn't work. I don't really fear the bites (it's just pain - it goes away after a while and it's not even that bad to begin with) but I am VERY respectful of their capacity for biting and I am very careful never to incite a bite - which doesn't mean I don't ever get bit but it does limit the number of times to virtually nothing.

Personally, I believe that if your husbandry is good, you respect his desires and needs and don't try to impose your own, learn its body language and forget about been 'the boss', you are OK.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Rambo/Rainbow bit me one time when he/she was on my shoulder. He was protecting me from a man who was getting to close. He got a little confused since he could not reach the man he bit me. That is the only time in the 16 years that I have had him.

Myrtle did not bite but she would stand on my shoulder with her left foot and hold onto my ear with the right one. (She is a left shoulder bird.) She will also preen me while she is there. She has even preened my eyelashes without hurting me.

I do not fear animals. As a matter of fact I feel sorry for the ones who scare people because they are really the scared ones.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:57 pm

I have had Senegals, but right now I have two related species to a Sengal, a Red belly and a Meyers. They are smaller parrots so it is very easy to get a lot of free flight in your home. I have two areas with hanging playgrounds, in my living room and in my dining room and they fly and play all day. My two are fine on my shoulders, but there is a difference. With my Red Belly I can do no wrong and she will never nip me no matter where she is on me, and I even trust her near my eyes. My Meyers is younger and he is a male and he can be a bit nippy when he gets too excited, but he is getting better and better about understanding pressure. Both of my parrots willl ride on my shoulders when I walk around and they are always good when on my shoulder. I had no trouble with Senegals riding on shoulders either.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Return to General Parrot Care