Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Benefits of having a Flighted bird

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Benefits of having a Flighted bird

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:56 am

"Hey everyone. Thanks for the add. So I'd like to discuss the benefits of having a flighted bird. Not only is it very healthy and great exercise for your bird, it's also soooo much fun.When I say "flighted", I am NOT talking about free flight outdoors. That is a whole other topic and definitely NOT for everyone or every bird.

I know some people will say things like "well my bird doesn't like or want to fly". Here's the thing. Every flying bird loves to fly. However, if they did not properly fledge and learn to, they could have hurt themselves at some point and developed a fear of it. Some birds have become so spoiled by eating and doing nothing all day (perch potato), they may choose not to fly because it's a lot of work to exercise when overweight. Lol Some birds were clipped at some point and maybe don't even know they can fly. Some people just leave it this way because of their lifestyle or some other reason. That's fine. I'm just sharing my opinion on the topic. **birds that are handicapped physically of course have no other option**

Whatever the situation is, I can assure you that it is a scientific fact that they were designed to fly instead of sitting perched in their cages or on their stands all day. Exercise is important for everyone, even birds. And climbing around and chewing on toys just isn't considered enough of a workout for them in my opinion.

You don't have to let your birds fly to give them a good life. However, it IS healthier for them. And a bird that knows how to use their wings to fly properly, is a happier bird." Peggy Smith
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Benefits of having a Flighted bird

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:56 am

"I will have to disagree about the "modified clipping". A bird that has fledged properly will not crash into objects due to being fully flighted. If anything, it would make. Descending, maneuvering or landing more difficult with clipping. Like I explained in the post above, it isn't (like you said) practical for some to let birds be flighted. However, stating that the bird still enjoys flight while being clipped is false.

Also, contrary to what most people believe, clipped birds can still fly. Just not well (depending on type of clip). If you follow the group 911 Parrot Alert, you will see many clipped birds having flown out the door or window and getting lost anyways. However, being handicapped in flight, it makes it much harder for them to work their wings or get away to safety and away from danger."
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:20 am

Are you Peggy? I saw this same post in a Facebook group.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:27 am

Navre wrote:Are you Peggy? I saw this same post in a Facebook group.

Its quoted I did write Peggy smith at the end
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:45 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:
Navre wrote:Are you Peggy? I saw this same post in a Facebook group.

Its quoted I did write Peggy smith at the end

I saw that. I just didn't know if that was you. Quite the argument it caused on Facebook.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:39 pm

I don't understand the purpose of this posting... If you want to talk about the benefits of having a flighted bird, use your own words and opinion instead of somebody else's but I doubt that it will be necessary as this IS a flighted bird site, after all.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:46 pm

Pajarita wrote:I don't understand the purpose of this posting... If you want to talk about the benefits of having a flighted bird, use your own words and opinion instead of somebody else's but I doubt that it will be necessary as this IS a flighted bird site, after all.

I was quoting it meaning sharing it so others can read it thats all so now you do understand the purpose.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:54 pm

ParrotsForLife wrote:
Pajarita wrote:I don't understand the purpose of this posting... If you want to talk about the benefits of having a flighted bird, use your own words and opinion instead of somebody else's but I doubt that it will be necessary as this IS a flighted bird site, after all.

I was quoting it meaning sharing it so others can read it thats all so now you do understand the purpose.

Pajarita, If this is a flighted bird site, as you have said I would really like to know where that is posted as a requirement. when I joined it asked if you had clipped or unclipped and I saw nothing about it being a flighted bird site. Or perhaps you could clarify what you meant by that, for the many members who do have clipped parrots. My parrots are both fully flighted right now so its not for me. I do support the ability for owners to choose whats best for them though. This is really a hot topic, and I belong to facebook groups that believe in doing whats best or are all for non clipping and its the one topic thats always sure to cause an argument. But it is an important topic.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:28 pm

ParrotsForLife LIKED your post lol if only there was an option
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:12 pm

ParrotsForLife wrote:ParrotsForLife LIKED your post lol if only there was an option

Well thanks for liking my post, but I bet you dont like all of it. I am for letting cage prisoner parrots out of their cages. It doesnt mater if they can fly, if they are cage bound and cant use their wings. So for that reason I support people who clip and try to encourage them to do mild clips. Quality of life is the most important to me. Modest clipped parrots can still fly and they do get more excercise because they have to work harder to fly but they usually can not fly as high or as far. Ultimately you should be aiming to be able to handle your parrot fully flighted though. I support the right to choose whats best for you and your parrot to have the best quality of life possible.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Next

Return to General Parrot Care