Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Terrified myers

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Terrified myers

Postby Megan140 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:00 pm

I've had my Myers Trinity for almost ten years now and yesterday she suddenly became afraid of everything including myself. Before I could do anything with her and she was perfectly content but now I go to give her scratches and she flies off terrified. I go to have her step up and she flies off again. The only thing that has changed is that I stopped closing the vent at night because I felt it was getting too cold in my basement room for her and my lovies. I haven't done anything different and haven't accidentally hurt her or anything.
What happened?! :meyers:
My poor little cuddle bug doesn't even really want to leave her cage and destroy stuff in my room (everything I don't want her touching is in a different room)!
A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
-Chinese Proverb
Megan140
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Myer's Parrot
Lovebird
Flight: Yes

Re: Terrified myers

Postby Megan140 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:13 pm

I just got home and opened her cage door and she usually runs out, eager to annoy my Lovies but today she just sat in there, not even me putting on my fuzzy housecoat (she LOVES being in my fuzzy housecoat) got her excited
A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
-Chinese Proverb
Megan140
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Myer's Parrot
Lovebird

yRe: Terrified myers

Postby liz » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:24 am

I am not the brightest light bulb in the room and have very little to offer as help.
My thought is that she is hurting and cannot tell you. If she was mine I would take her to an Avian Vet for a checkup. When humans are in pain they don't want anyone to touch them and can become very cranky.
The little being inside those feathers has all the emotions that we do. Have you changed anything? Even cleaning supplies have scents that birds cannot tolerate. Burning candles causes problems too.
That is all I have. Another with more knowledge will come on and answer your post.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:48 am

Do you monitor your birds weight and food intake? Also there poop is a good indication of problems. Hormones play a big part in our birds attitudes , but really Liz is right ,I would defiantly make a vet appointment. reading everything about your birds care is very important. You can never know too much. Bird woman
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:24 pm

I agree with both Liz and Birdwoman, you need to take her to an avian vet because it sounds as if she is sick.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care