Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do you get cockatoo to play

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: How do you get cockatoo to play

Postby liz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:26 am

That corner looks like my current bathroom that Rainbow redesigned. I stripped out the corner and put in non treated wood pieces. I thought I had it made. It turned out that he thought my cabinet door was easier to chew. My cabinet does not have real wood. It is some kind of pressed material covered with a plastic laminent. This has gotten him banned from the bathroom and he tried to fool me when I made him leave by walking backward. Myrtle has pulled the plastic off my kitchen cabinets. All of them. When Rainbow started on the bathroom I thought "let him go" I have to come up with an idea to fix them anyway. Rainbow took a different direction and chewed the corner off. (In NC he made a hole behind the toilet that by the time I found it was 6 inches by 9 inches. It started by peeling wall paper while hiding behind the toilet waiting so she could jump out and scare Aunt Betty)

Being in Florida produced another idea. The part of the palm frawn left on the tree gets hard but are striated. (funny I could spell striated but not frawn.) They love them. Of course anything they like will become a problem. I find piles of shredded frawns every where. It hold their consentration and they stay there until it is gone. Then the dogs and cats run through playing and scatter it everywhere. At least I don't have carpet.

Rainbow and Myrtle are Amazons who make as big a mess as Toos.

There is a Too on YouTube that looks really brilliant. I have noticed since his house is spotless that he is an only child who gets non stop attention and enrichment. His wings are clipped but he has his own toy room and a toy place in each room. She must play with him all day. One of the things that got me was his yelling into a plastic cup to make his voice different. Of course he throws tantrums like a 2 year old. I love watching him and feel bad that I do not spend that much quality time with my babies.

There would be no depression if I could spend my day on the floor with my babies. For now I just have to spend 15 minutes or more on the floor in the Cockatiel room when I feel bad.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:46 am

Sissy B wrote:Oh you all full of such great advice. I have only had Elvis for a short time but he seems to be coming around a little more he really loves to perch on the door of his cage. When he hears my husband's voice he prepares to go after him and chase him around the living room. He also loves to bite Troy. Troy will hold Elvis let him cuddle around his arms then Elvis starts clicking and the out of the blue bites Troy. That is the one thing I sure do home stops soon Troy likes Elvis but keeps away from him. Troy even trys playing with him at times. But this is an amazing group and love all the advice you all give. Thank you

I would not expect a zon and a too to bond... most likely, the too will dislike the zon forever and ever because toos are extremely possessive of their humans and always regard all other birds as their competition for the human's attention and affection.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sissy B » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Pajarita wrote:
Sissy B wrote:Oh you all full of such great advice. I have only had Elvis for a short time but he seems to be coming around a little more he really loves to perch on the door of his cage. When he hears my husband's voice he prepares to go after him and chase him around the living room. He also loves to bite Troy. Troy will hold Elvis let him cuddle around his arms then Elvis starts clicking and the out of the blue bites Troy. That is the one thing I sure do home stops soon Troy likes Elvis but keeps away from him. Troy even trys playing with him at times. But this is an amazing group and love all the advice you all give. Thank you

I would not expect a zon and a too to bond... most likely, the too will dislike the zon forever and ever because toos are extremely possessive of their humans and always regard all other birds as their competition for the human's attention and affection.

If I was able to upload pictures I would post one for you to see that Irish the Amazon and Elvis the too get along pretty well their cages are right next to each other and Elvis claims on her cage and the connect their beaks for a few stop and then do it again. Had Irish out on the perch and and she climbed on me Elvis just stayed o. His cage. So far I have been lucky they get along so well for now I guess lol
Thank you Elvis and Irish Blue's momma
Sissy
Sissy B
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo 2 yrs old and a blue fronted Amazon (rescued) who is 32 yrs old
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:58 am

If Elvis is clicking just before biting Troy then this is not out of the blue biting as Elvis has tried to tell him that he is not pleased and that if Troy continues what he is doing that he will get bitten. Take this clicking as a warning and listen to the bird as he is trying to let Troy know before biting, it is just that Troy is not listening to Elvis so it is his own fault for getting bitten.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Sissy B » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:26 am

When I got Elvis the lady told me him rubbing to his upper beak with his tounge is clicking (you do hear his beaks touching and making a sound) he is happy. He does it all the time with me and has never bitten me. He does the same with my daughter. Next time Elvis gets on troy I'm going to tell him to stand up with him instead of sitting and try not to let him cuddle.
Sissy
Sissy B
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo 2 yrs old and a blue fronted Amazon (rescued) who is 32 yrs old

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Be careful you don't end up with an amazon with half a beak or a cockatoo with only three toes in one foot. Beaking is not a sign of friendliness, it's aggression - mild aggression but aggression nonetheless. And a bird climbing on another bird's cage while the owner of the cage is inside is something we all try to prevent as much as possible.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sissy B » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:11 pm

Pajarita wrote:Be careful you don't end up with an amazon with half a beak or a cockatoo with only three toes in one foot. Beaking is not a sign of friendliness, it's aggression - mild aggression but aggression nonetheless. And a bird climbing on another bird's cage while the owner of the cage is inside is something we all try to prevent as much as possible.

Thank you so much for the in put I will not stop him from going on her cage while she's in there thanks again
Sissy
Sissy B
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:18 am

There are videos on FB that show a Cockatoo that has it's own play corner and toy box. It must be an only child and gets all it's owners attention. The videos are of him playing with toys and unusual stuff. His human built a pyramid of plastic drinking cups just for him to pull the bottom one just to crash them. The funniest video shows him making a noise then making the noise again by saying it into a plastic cup to change his sound.

Well fed and healthy critters all play. Yours just does not know what to do with his toys. He would rather play with the ones you play with (telephone and computer).

Play with his toys to teach him what to do with them.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Liz, baby animals play but, when it comes to adults, very few species actually do. What we think it's play in birds it's actually a natural behavior with a specific purpose related to survival of the species (like flying away in a kind of tag game), breeding (chewing) or redirected aggression (like when they beat up a toy). Mammals, particularly domesticated ones, do play but, when they are babies, it's actually practice for adult behaviors (like fighting or hunting) and even this play activity decreases once the animal reaches puberty which is the same time that their cerebellum fine-tunes itself.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:48 pm

At the zoo I watched a Canadian Goose blow bubbles in it's drinking water bucket. I was told he was "NOT playing because animals don't play". When the woman wasn't looking I gave him a small plastic cup. When she saw what he did she made me clean it up. He did have fun though. Water was all over the floor.

Oscar the vulture was full grown and made his own game which he taught me. The woman told me I was just crazy.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care