Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

African Grey Health

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

African Grey Health

Postby GreenWing » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:41 am

African Greys are known to be very intelligent creatures. They are sensitive and can get easily spooked. They also grow very attached to their person and can get a bit neurotic. Luckily for my Grey, I'm neurotic, too, so we're two peas in a pod.

What are some things to be aware of, regarding African Grey health? How can you improve and support excellent health and prevent problems?

I live in Oregon and this time of year in my area, it's cold. I would like to start taking Chance outside with a harness on when it warms up so she gets vitamin D in the sun. (Although, getting a harness on her would be like trying to handcuff a cat, it's going to be extremely difficult and, painful - for me.)

How can we ensure a Grey's prevention of Aspergillus and vitamin deficiency? How can we ensure the right toys? How can we keep them happiest?
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: African Grey Health

Postby Bird woman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Hello from southern Oregon , I also have African greys and all were rescues. The first thing I did was quarantine 45 days as I have other birds and then full blood work. Greys need more calcium than other birds and all my rescues were deficient. They had poor plumage and plucked and chewed there feathers. After there diet was corrected then started the work on breaking the bad habit chewing there feathers. I found that my greys like interactive baby toys which are virtually indestructible. Mostly musical ones and blocks of wood to chew up , which I drill holes in and stick treats in the holes and hang where they can get it. Also a all natural feather duster hangs in the cages to give them something else to groom and they find that pretty entertaining . I have over head bird lights that are in an open area for the birds to use as they wish. Bird safe light bulbs only! Card boxs are a big hit at my house too. When it's warm we also let the birds spend as much time outside in natural light as possible. I have found the greys aren't as fond of taking baths as my cockatoos so I give them a large shallow bowl about 3 times a week to bath in. There's always bowls of raw veggies laying around for all the birds to get into and a little fruit. Greys are so smart and require a little thinking outside the box to keep entertained It really comes in handy to have an outdoor enclosure or an extra cage for the outdoors , we have a lot of predictors in Oregon (gotta keep em safe.) as far as the aspergillosis things in the ground or stuff you let get moldy , peanuts as they come from the ground and so on. You can get pretty neurotic about this as I am a little but when it's warm I let all my fids forage on the front lawn, I don't use fertilizer or chemicals out there everything ala- natural!!! Have fun with the harness. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care