Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hair plucking Maroon Bellied conure

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Hair plucking Maroon Bellied conure

Postby Elaol » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:18 am

Pajarita wrote:Well, there's your answer! She is been kept all year round at a breeding light schedule and she has become not only sexually frustrated but is, most likely, in constant pain from it so, if I were you, I would put her on a strict solar schedule ASAP. It's not a matter of us judging you - believe me when I tell you that we all know how hard it is to keep birds to a strict solar schedule - Sheesh! I have NO social life whatsoever for 9 months of the year because of it!

What do you guys think of strict solar schedule? I can guess, but I do not know the specifics.

She sleeps in the hallway. We go through it to go to the bathroom. So there will be some action in the hallway, including the light from the bathroom (although she has cover for her cage).
Elaol
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:05 pm

Is there a window the cage can be placed by? And do you have a bird safe light set-up?
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Elaol » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:42 am

Bird woman wrote:Is there a window the cage can be placed by? And do you have a bird safe light set-up?

Yes, there is a window in front of the cage. I don't have light set up, I don't even know what that is :/

I need to add that she is afraid of sunlight. If there is sunlight on her, she screams and flies away.
Elaol
Parakeet

Postby Bird woman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:36 pm

:amazon: My birds all have there own window , they are put in there cages with there dinner at dusk every night so they can see it get dark and when I hear there little peeps or beakgrinding start I remove what's not ate , cover the front and sides of there cages with a dark cover with the window side open so they can see daybreak and the day starts all over again. It's that simple to start but there is more to the proper lighting and right kind of full spectrum bulbs for BIRDS, NOT REPTILES. I am fortunate to have a bird room with incealing fixtures on timers and several huge picture windows as I built it for the fids. :) I'm not sure what that being afraid of the sun thing is all about unless she was left in front of a hot window in full sun and couldn't get away from it. :shock: I hope that wasn't the case ,unless she makes a shadow when the suns shining and hasn't figured that out yet. Shadow monsters can be very scary :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Elaol » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:16 am

Bird woman wrote::amazon: My birds all have there own window , they are put in there cages with there dinner at dusk every night so they can see it get dark and when I hear there little peeps or beakgrinding start I remove what's not ate , cover the front and sides of there cages with a dark cover with the window side open so they can see daybreak and the day starts all over again. It's that simple to start but there is more to the proper lighting and right kind of full spectrum bulbs for BIRDS, NOT REPTILES. I am fortunate to have a bird room with incealing fixtures on timers and several huge picture windows as I built it for the fids. :) I'm not sure what that being afraid of the sun thing is all about unless she was left in front of a hot window in full sun and couldn't get away from it. :shock: I hope that wasn't the case ,unless she makes a shadow when the suns shining and hasn't figured that out yet. Shadow monsters can be very scary :lol: BW

OK, tonight I will put her in her cage half an hour before sun goes down, so she can watch it and go to sleep :) I hope that will help her, so she can become her old self :D Thank you :)
Elaol
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:30 am

Good! But she can't have any artificial light on during the sunset (or the sunrise) and should be in complete darkness after. The idea is to expose her to the different light that happens during sunrise and sunset (you know, that rosy/golden/orangey light that happens only then) and to allow her to fall asleep when the night falls.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care