Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to rehome in the UK? Lovely Patagonian Conure needs home

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

How to rehome in the UK? Lovely Patagonian Conure needs home

Postby carysaurus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:43 am

Hi all,

I was looking for a bit of advice on how to re-home a parrot in the UK?

I accidentally became the carer for a very affectionate (and expressive!) Patagonian conure - Roger. It was supposed to be a short term arrangement- as Roger's previous owner didn't have long to look properly, I was persuaded to take Roger in, and properly take the time to find him a good home...

That was 2 years ago! :senegal:

Needless to say, my partner and I fell a bit in love with Rog and after hearing all of the stories of how few parrots stay with the same owner throughout their life, felt really sad to think of him being passed on. Roger was only 1 year old when he came to us, so is now 3. My partner and I both work all day and recognise that we do not have a lifestyle that is fair on Rog (we're also young, pre-family and previously preferred to be outdoors and travelling). But we've really struggled to find a legitimate option for rehoming him.

I refuse to put him up for sale as I just don't want gumtree curiosity seekers coming in and oggling him. I would far rather that he went for free, cage and all, to a home that could be his forever.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've only seen a couple of sanctuary options, but Roger loves human contact and I'm not convinced that these would suit him. :?

Better yet, does anyone have a Patagonian Conure shaped hole in their heart which needs filling? :hatched:
carysaurus
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Patagonian Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: How to rehome in the UK? Lovely Patagonian Conure needs home

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Be careful of some of the so called sanctuaries. Some are little better than a way station were they take in parrots free or cheap and resell them. Others use the birds they take in for breeding to generate income.
Hope you find him a good home.
Another option if you think it would work is finding a bird boarding kennels or a parrot friendly friend who woud look after him on an occasional basic while you holiday.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care