Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parakeet Bonding Advice

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Parakeet Bonding Advice

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Well, the thing about using a clicker is that you can't do it with lots of animals around you because they would all get confused. It needs to be one-on-one with a single animal and I am never in that situation, I always have multiple dogs, cats and birds as I can't split myself more than I already do.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Polarn » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:28 am

That is true, especially when capturing behaviors, meaning the animal doesn't really know they have your attention but you click any time they do something particular no matter where they are when you see it. but then again thats the main benefit i see with a clicker, the timing to do so. But overall a clicker is just a bridge, so I am not sure that it would confuse them much more than using the same verbal praise for multiple animals "good boy"/"good girl" etcetera. I think they kind of notice if they are the one who had the attention and were asked to sit or turn around or what it is one happens to ask them.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Ahhhh, but that's why you always have to use their names first - as in "Davy, good boy!" or "Zoey, bad girl!"
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Polarn » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:20 pm

haha funny you'd say that because I still have the habbit of saying the name before I que a behavior, altho there is only one around now, but always have had loads of animals around me before turned in to "killroy, sit" or "Aston, sit" (yep two of the ol dogs) and then Ive used the same bridge for all of them pretty much.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care