Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot sitting.

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Parrot sitting.

Postby michaeldodell » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:30 am

Hi everyone.
I dont have a bird yet but am interested in getting one.
I have just one problem, im in the military and will eventually have to deploy for 6 months or more. I know parrots bond with their owners and can get stressed out if they dont get attention and stuff. I was curious if I had a bird and left it with a family member or something to take care of when I deploy if that would be too hard on the bird, if the 6+ months would be too much for it?
michaeldodell
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none at the moment
Flight: No

Re: Parrot sitting.

Postby alienlady » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:42 am

This is only my opinion but I would think seriously about buying one . You need to dedicate all your time to a parrot and can only leave them for short periods and I'm talking in hours . :P Someone else will come along and give you their opinions too soon.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:35 am

After 6 months abcence you wil find your parrot has probably bonded to someone else and doesn't want to know you.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby stevesjk » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:19 pm

I would not get a parrot or any pet for that matter until your military career is over.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:35 pm

I agree with all the previous posters. It would be cruel to get a parrot and make the bird bond to you just to leave it with somebody else for months at a time. Parrots are not 'made' that way. They are born and live their entire lives surrounded by their family, the only abandonment they know of is death and it can take them a long time to get over losing their chosen human so, please, reconsider your options because you could never have a happy bird while you are in the military.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:34 am

How bonded is your family? How long before you are deployed?

If you get a bird to be cared for by you first then the rest of the family it does not need to be tramatic. He may even bond with a different family member.

I would suggest rescuing an older bird about 2 or 3 though the 30 year olds have already gone through the puberty and accept multiple family members.
by
I took Rainbow from a friend who was going to sell him after being her mommy for 15 years.
She loved her but got her priorities all twisted up. The first time she came to visit he hid in a cardboard box until she left. A year later when she came over Rainbow had accepted that she would not take him back and was social with her even calling her by name.
Though I was doing all the care and she knew I was her human she claimed my momma for #1 then my daughter as #2. I was put in the lineup as #3.
When Momma died he would not accept that she went bye bye without him and searched for a couple months. He had always tormented Aunt Betty but she was the closest he could get to a grandma and started going to her instead of pulling tricks on her. Rachel took first place and I was second.

A bird who does not have his human will take another human to fill in. When his human comes home they remember and go to them even if that human does no longer have first place

Basically your family is the question. Will your family care for him by your rules while you are gone? It would be like leaving your toddler in their hands.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:01 pm

Liz, if you believe that the bird will bond to somebody else and will not want to bond back to the first human -which is what the OP wants- how would the constant going back and forth every six months benefit the bird?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:16 pm

You know I think of things differently. Scratch what I said.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to General Parrot Care