Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Clipping my blind lovebird's wings?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Clipping my blind lovebird's wings?

Postby liz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:22 am

Gimpy is not blind but he is crippled. When I rescued him he was just a lump of feathers. Some idiot human had cut the wings on a bird that could not walk. The rest of the flock knew something was wrong and comforted him. When his wings grew back he became the best flier. His only problem is he cannot perch and must always land on a flat surface.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:14 am

My Cockatiels have memorized my son's guest room. When my son heard knocking in the middle of the night he searched for what was doing it. He shined a flashlight under the door to find a bunch of Cockatiel feet just inside the door. It was black in that room but made it to the door in the dark.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:47 pm

I don't have any good answer for you about this, it is a difficult call at best. the bird does need to be able to fly well enough to keep it from getting hurt if it falls from a perch or some other place that is high up. But flying also requires a lot of visual acuity that this bird does not have and that places the bird at risk for injury everytime that it does fly. I would think that speed is the biggest issue as the risk of injury increases dramatically the faster the bird flies. You might want to try to let it fly if you can keep the flights short enough to keep the speed down which is very hard to do with such a small and fast little bird.

While this does not give you any answers I hope that it will help you to make a choice on your own. Good luck.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care