Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Interested in Senegal Parrots wanted some advice

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Interested in Senegal Parrots wanted some advice

Postby Wabledoodle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:20 pm

My fiancee and I are moving to a new apartment this fall and are interested in introducing a parrot to the family. We've been doing some research into the matter and really love the idea of an intelligent and interactive companion that we can play with, train, and hang out with. Senegal parrots seem to be the best combination of intelligence, size, and low noise (since we will have close neighbors).

However we have some concerns that we wanted to alleviate before we commit to getting a parrot. Our primary concern is the amount of time a parrot can go without companionship. For the duration of the fall, we will both be in classes and at any given time one of us will be around, or will be back within an hour or two. However, come January we will both be working full time. My fiancee will be working at a high school and will probably be home somewhere between 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and I will not be home until later that evening. We're not concerned about the parrot getting enough attention when we're home, because we plan on having the parrot hanging out with us out of his cage whenever we get home. However, we want to make sure that the bird will be okay spending the working day alone.

Does anyone else have a similar situation or any light to shed on the matter?
Wabledoodle
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure
Flight: No

Re: Interested in Senegal Parrots wanted some advice

Postby lzver » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Its good to hear that you and your fiance are doing research and putting a lot of thought into getting a parrot. First off, Senegals are a good choice. I have a Senegal and a Red Bellied and I would actually have to say that our Red-Bellied is quieter than our Senegal. She does a little less screaching then our Senegal. But we used to live in a condo townhouse with neighbors on both sides and below us and we would ask on occasion if the birds bothered them. They said they could defnitely hear them when they were being really loud, but they never complained.

Both my husband and I work full-time and I'm home by 4:30pm. Both birds get a minimum of 2 hours outside of their cage either hanging out with me or just doing their own thing. I also have a variety of toys in their cage to keep them stimulated when we are not there - and I switch them up every couple of weeks.

Good luck making your decision.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Postby Anna » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:24 am

Personally, I don´t think a parrot should be left alone more than 4-5 hours a day at the maximum. In the wild, parrots spend day and night together and they are obviously not made to be alone.

From the beginning I only had one parrot, but that was when I was a student and at home most of the day, so when I started working full time he got a little friend. Now they get along most of the time and I know that they wouldn´t want to be without each other.
Anna
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:52 am

I work during the day and only see my parrot in mornings and evenings. I don't think it is a problem as long as that is what they are used to. Don't give your parrot more attention early on then you think you can afford later on. Just get it used to the routine that you expect it to always live by and the transition will be uneventful. Provide toys, foraging opportunities, play words for it to learn in your absence. Teach the parrot to like attention but also be independent.

I do a very intensive flight/training session for nearly an hour every evening and she flies off her energy then, is mentally stimulated, and has a good time. The flight is great exercise and the training encourages her to fly more than she is normally inclined to.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Titanius » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:32 pm

Also , think a little into the future. I've heard often of couples who grew this awesome relationship with their parrots but later on had a child and were forced to make hard choices. Just think about it. And good luck in finding your feathered friend.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Return to General Parrot Care