Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

5 year female Senegal and a new baby - help!

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: 5 year female Senegal and a new baby - help!

Postby ali-zee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:26 am

And sunset can be at 10pm! Thanks for the advice think I have a good handle on the daylight hours and diet.

Really was hoping to get some experiences by other people who introduced a new family member to a Senegal! Especially one who is really attached to my boyfriend. Zee loves visiting my dads house and annoying all the dogs (she loves to imitate my dads whistle to call them!) so hoping that she will be ok but if anyone has any personal experience would be much appreciated!
ali-zee
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Female Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:03 am

The only time I needed to introduce, I did not. That was my son and Kitty Monster in the Philippines. That cat was mean as heck to me. She was so small she would hide in a vase on the floor then jump out and scratch the back of my legs. I was the one who took her in when she was the size of a fuzzy caterpillar with her eyes closed. I heard her in the barracks and followed the sound. When I knocked on that door it opened and they grabbed me and pulled me in. She was the last living of a litter they found but they were having trouble taking care of her. I took her home and when I was on duty my house girl fed her. I guess she thought that if I was the one feeding and caring for her that I was the subordinent. When my son was born I tried to keep her away thinking if she was mean to me she would be mean to him. Instead she claimed him. If I was not fast enough with the bottle and he was crying she would come after me.

When introducing my 18 month old son to his baby sister, I would hold him and tell him about the baby. I kind of picked on her telling him she had too much hair or that her nose was too small. He had compassion for her and to this day he is still looking out for her. They are in their mid 40s.

Introducing a critter in was about the same. I would give the new ones the attention they needed but would give the others even more than before. They accepted the new one as part of their family and looked after them too.

Keep in mind that I do things from the point of view of a mommy and not bird keeper.
I would: give my bird attention in the presents of the baby and tell her how special she is. It would be hard, since the baby creates more work give my bird more attention than before and include it in the chores for the baby. Hopefully she will claim the baby.
I recall a story where the baby was left with a baby sitter. The bird had free run of the house. The bird started flying through the house yelling "MOMMA BABY MOMMA BABY". The baby sitter checked the baby and it was choking. The bird got the credit for saving the baby's life.
Just remember to give the bird attention in the presents of the baby. Your bird with think that it is #1 and has to look out for the baby who is #2.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:06 am

ali-zee wrote:And sunset can be at 10pm! Thanks for the advice think I have a good handle on the daylight hours and diet.

Really was hoping to get some experiences by other people who introduced a new family member to a Senegal! Especially one who is really attached to my boyfriend. Zee loves visiting my dads house and annoying all the dogs (she loves to imitate my dads whistl e to call them!) so hoping that she will be ok but if anyone has any personal experience would be much appreciated!

Hmmm, I checked the calendar and at the beginning of July (when you have the longest days), your civil twilight starts at 4 am and ends at 10 pm. These are the extremes and, actually, quite similar to what happens where I am (greater NY area) and, what I do, during the summer, is uncover them at 4:45 am (the earliest I ever get up) and cover them at 9 pm. The thing is that they need to be exposed to a goodly length of twilight but, as long as they are exposed to 1.5 hours, is good.

As to introducing a parrot to a new family member, well, I think we have all done it at one point or another but when you are talking about a baby, it's completely different than an adult because babies don't move and they don't ask for anything from a parrot so I doubt there will be much that you actually need to do except keep her schedule and routines the same they were before and THAT's where you are going to have difficulty. Not because the parrot will make it difficult but because you are going to have to juggle the needs and schedules of both while you are sleep-deprived and tired all the time. But, because the parrot won't have any interaction with the baby for a couple of years, I doubt there will be an issue between the two of them. Parrots are not only highly intelligent, they are also extremely social so, to them, accepting an individual as part of the family is not hard. I once rehomed an ekkie who hated my guts with a passion (she was in love with my husband but he was never home and she was terrified of the other birds and would attack them) to one of the vet techs of my own avian vet. Elsa (that was her name) also fell in love with her husband (a HUGE mason with a body full of tattoos, long hair and a big beard) and also hated the wife but she adored the kids! Whereas she would bite the heck out of me and the wife, she allowed the kids to handle her, would take food from their little fingers with the outmost care and flew around the house (the husband made perches for her for every single room) following them. So, personally, as long as the bird is not overly hormonal and is getting the same care and attention it got before, I would not worry too much about it and kind of take it as 'we'll cross that bridge when we get to it'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:45 am

I wear "rose colored glasses" and can see it from a different angle. I believe your bird will accept the baby as part of it's flock.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care