Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

HELP!Getting CAG in a week or two ANY TIPS?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

HELP!Getting CAG in a week or two ANY TIPS?

Postby AfricanGreyAfi » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:10 am

Hi everyone I am getting an congo african grey in a week to two :gray: . do you have any tips for the first day home ,how to start training, daily routine . Any helpful recipes? It's a female and she is 3 months old. Right after collecting her I am going to the vet, it's a good idea right? The breeder says it;s good to feed her porage till the age of aprox. 10 months, alongside introducing new foods. Do you have any tips for cage size, amount of toys, what other foods to feed. When should I start interacting with her, she is already hand tamed, so no bitting. How long does a grey need to get used to a new environment? any tips on preventing problems and bad habits? Also any tips on picking her-up? What is the best way? I own a car so that's not a problem? Since she is still small how many times a week should a change the cage lining? Thanks Guys! I just want it to be a good transition for her!
AfricanGreyAfi
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Kakariki, African Grey Congo,
Flight: Yes

Re: HELP!Getting CAG in a week or two ANY TIPS?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:38 am

Yes, take her to the vet and do a complete physical. At three months of age, she still needs 2 daily handfeedings as well as nutritious soft foods served warm and fresh twice a day as well as raw produce. You should clean her cage and change the paper every day but she is too young for a large cage yet and she needs extra warmth (she is still a baby) so take that into consideration. She won't need any toys now, she is a baby and all she needs is a momma. No training until she is about one year old, just spend many, many hours with her on you in order to create a bond and prevent psychological problems in the future.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby AfricanGreyAfi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Thank you Pajarita! Your information was very helpful! I was wondering how do I keep her warm, like keeping her in a warm room, or cuddling her in a blanket? Thanks
AfricanGreyAfi
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Kakariki, African Grey Congo,

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:06 am

No, blankets don't work, they need the warm temperature all the time. I use a heating pad at the bottom of the cage (I put paper on it to avoid getting the liner dirty with poop) and cover the cage with a material (I normally use a large towel or two) on all sides but the front (for light) but, if you can get an entire room to maintain a steady temperature of 85 degrees, that would work just fine, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care