Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot scared of harness when it is next to him?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Parrot scared of harness when it is next to him?

Postby texxla » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:34 am

I have a 3 year old Jardines Parrot, Sämi (pronounced Sammy).
He loves going outside (always in his harness). He is harness trained, but when he was young a harness fell on him (he pulled it down onto himself) and he got scared (understandably).
When he has the harness on he is happy (doesnt bite it or complain, and is calm and comfortable) but when i take ut off/put it on he gets scared of it.
How can i best teach him that it is not scary?
He is less scared now than earlier since i got another harness but in a different color (both are aviator) and he isnt as scared of it.

Anyone have advice?
texxla
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Jardines Parrot (red fronted parrot)
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot scared of harness when it is next to him?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:40 am

I would stop forcing him to wear the harness until he is comfortable with it and go back to square one. Get Michael's book to learn how to get a bird used to wearing a harness and follow the instructions at the bird's pace (meaning, don't go to the next step until the first one is really completed).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby texxla » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:51 am

Pajarita wrote:I would stop forcing him to wear the harness until he is comfortable with it and go back to square one. Get Michael's book to learn how to get a bird used to wearing a harness and follow the instructions at the bird's pace (meaning, don't go to the next step until the first one is really completed).

I know how i should do it, and i did it in the beginning (without forcing).For a number of months (about 5) he would look at it (i would have it hanging somewhere in my room so he could see it without it being too close to him) but when i touched it he would get scared.

He isnt scared of wearing it, which seems to be most people's problems when training their birds to use the harness but is scared of it falling on him.
texxla
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Jardines Parrot (red fronted parrot)

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:30 am

But if he is scared of it near him, you must be forcing him when you put it on him and Michael's method would teach you how to get the bird gradually used to it to the point that, when you put it on him, it doesn't bother him at all (not that the harness itself doesn't bother it after it's on but that the action of putting the harness doesn't). Michael indicates more than just leaving the harness nearby (that is just the first step), he shows you how to gradually inure the bird to it so it allows you to put it on without batting an eyelash.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Return to General Parrot Care