Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why are small parrots under appreciated?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Why are small parrots under appreciated?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:49 pm

No, it's not at all the same thing, Brandon. Parrots in the wild live in their natural habitat and in large flocks. Pet parrots that are free-flown do it in open environments or the owner would not be able to see it and that's VERY dangerous because the same way the owner can follow the bird with his eyes, the predator does too. And flying alone is not the same as flying with a flock -there's safety in numbers!

And, in all honesty, I would not say that ALL people who free-fly their parrots do it to show off but I do believe that the greatest majority of them do. Because there are safer ways to exercise a bird and expose it to sunlight so why risk it unless there is a benefit to yourself?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Pajarita wrote:No, it's not at all the same thing, Brandon. Parrots in the wild live in their natural habitat and in large flocks. Pet parrots that are free-flown do it in open environments or the owner would not be able to see it and that's VERY dangerous because the same way the owner can follow the bird with his eyes, the predator does too. And flying alone is not the same as flying with a flock -there's safety in numbers!

And, in all honesty, I would not say that ALL people who free-fly their parrots do it to show off but I do believe that the greatest majority of them do. Because there are safer ways to exercise a bird and expose it to sunlight so why risk it unless there is a benefit to yourself?

I think you should just look at for yourself lol, They do fly in flock and I didn't say it was the exact same but these free flyers can escape predators way better than a wild parrot and predators are not at the top of the risk list.There will never be any better exercise than free flying just saying.A lot of times they are free to do whatever they want for about an hour unlike some who let them fly and then call them back.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby liz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Wild parrots were taught by their parents what to be afraid of. They can escape better than pet birds.

I have an open floor plan. Living room, dining room and kitchen are basically one big room. Myrtle does laps for exercise. In NC she would fly from one room to another doing laps in those rooms.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:29 pm

liz wrote:Wild parrots were taught by their parents what to be afraid of. They can escape better than pet birds.

I have an open floor plan. Living room, dining room and kitchen are basically one big room. Myrtle does laps for exercise. In NC she would fly from one room to another doing laps in those rooms.

Liz how is that any different from a free flyer that was taught by humans what to be afraid of? They even teach them to be afraid of strangers, Could you imagine social Oscar flying? He would be going to almost every stranger he sees and another thing is its instinct to know what a predator is like that time I took Milo to the pet store when they had Hawks and Owls outside and I got a photograph with a large owl and Milo had to wait inside the pet store because he was so frightened.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:31 pm

You cant really say anything about free flying until you have seen it and understand what exactly goes on and sadly videos cant do that, https://youtu.be/u6hL5sMuwDQ
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Georginia » Mon May 01, 2017 1:07 am

I think it depends more on the preferences of the bird, rather than species. Sure, smaller birds may be classified as aviary birds, however, that doesn't mean ALL smaller parrots would thrive in an aviary. Even an untamed Macaw or Cockatoo that loved being with other birds but disliked humans would make a good aviary bird. Any bird that just prefers the company of other birds and dislikes humans would thrive being an aviary bird. Birds bonded to humans should NOT be. Aviary birds should not be picked out by species, but rather by each individual's preferences. Therefore, no species of bird should be CLASSIFIED as anything, because, much like people, each individual bird has has his likes and dislikes.
I currently have two male Budgies, whom I love very much! I hope to soon expand my bird family and adopt more loving feathered friends into my home!
Georginia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies/Parakeets

Postby stevesjk » Mon May 01, 2017 4:45 am

Yes i agree with georgina
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon May 01, 2017 8:51 am

Georginia wrote:I think it depends more on the preferences of the bird, rather than species. Sure, smaller birds may be classified as aviary birds, however, that doesn't mean ALL smaller parrots would thrive in an aviary. Even an untamed Macaw or Cockatoo that loved being with other birds but disliked humans would make a good aviary bird. Any bird that just prefers the company of other birds and dislikes humans would thrive being an aviary bird. Birds bonded to humans should NOT be. Aviary birds should not be picked out by species, but rather by each individual's preferences. Therefore, no species of bird should be CLASSIFIED as anything, because, much like people, each individual bird has has his likes and dislikes.

It actually has nothing to do with their likes and dislikes its just how they were made really, Of course any Parrot can live in a Aviary and just because you own an Aviary species it doesn't mean they live in a Aviary it simply just means they do better mentally with a friend.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 01, 2017 10:52 am

Brandon is correct. It has nothing to do with individual birds or even our opinions. I think the problem is that you are confusing a type of enclosure with a classification that fits a species social characteristics. There are 'companion' parrots and there are 'aviary' parrots and it has nothing to do with where they are kept, it has to do with what they prefer once they are adults (they are all the same when babies). A handfed companion parrot would NEVER do well living in an aviary. You can put him there for flying and he will gladly bask in the sun and take a number of laps back and forth and maybe even forage or chew a branch for a bit but, sooner rather than later, he will want to be with his human UNLESS it has mate-bonded with another bird and its mate is right there with it (and it's not easy getting a handfed companion parrot to mate-bond with another one although some species -like amazons, for example- are easier than others). An aviary parrot, even a handfed one, will always prefer being in an aviary (or large flight cage or cage-free in a birdroom) with others of its own species once it reaches the age of sexual activity (it doesn't happen before that). The handfed ones will always love you and will always like to spend time with you but they also will always want to go back to living a bird's life instead of being a human pet. And the parent-raised will learn to trust, like and even love you but they will still like to be with their flock much more than anything else.

It has nothing to do with their individual personality, whether they were born in the wild or in captivity, if they were hand-fed or parent-raised, if they are loved and treated right or not, it has to do with the way nature made them. It's evolution and genetic make-up that determines this (nature and not nurture) and not us, humans, as owners or care-givers.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Mon May 01, 2017 2:04 pm

But its not 100 per cent fool proof though because ive seen with my own eyes a hand fed cockatiel do very poorly in an aviary setting and ive seen the same with a budgie. Individual needs have to be taken into account. They end up too soft and easy to bully.
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care