Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why are small parrots under appreciated?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Why are small parrots under appreciated?

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon May 01, 2017 2:35 pm

stevesjk wrote:But its not 100 per cent fool proof though because ive seen with my own eyes a hand fed cockatiel do very poorly in an aviary setting and ive seen the same with a budgie. Individual needs have to be taken into account. They end up too soft and easy to bully.

As was mentioned them as a individual means nothing, Thats just like saying humans could do well mentally living with a Parrot and not ever being around humans I know I would be broken lol as much as I prefer my Parrots company I could never not be around humans.A hand fed cockatiel would be happy with other birds assuming he has a friend/mate nobody said they have to live in a Aviary once again.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 am

stevesjk wrote:But its not 100 per cent fool proof though because ive seen with my own eyes a hand fed cockatiel do very poorly in an aviary setting and ive seen the same with a budgie. Individual needs have to be taken into account. They end up too soft and easy to bully.

Well, birds need to be 'introduced' to one another and slowly acclimated to new situations. Parrots, as altricial birds, need to learn how to handle a new situation and how to interact with strange birds (meaning, they are not 100% instinctual in their reactions as precocial birds are). A handfed cockatiel that has never seen another tiel should never just be put in an aviary with an already 'adjusted' flock (there are flock dynamics to consider as well as the novelty of the situation for the new bird). It needs to be done slowly. First you put the lone tiel in a cage next to the aviary, then you start putting the tiel in for flight time (under supervision), then for feeding time, etc. In every single case of an aviary bird that does poorly in a flock situation, there is a human who made a mistake. Aviary birds can be bred in captivity and later released to join wild flocks so, obviously, this is something that can be done (see my new posting on the redbellies).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby NJBirdMan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:16 am

A number of years ago, I purchased a Peach-faced Lovebird. I just fell in love with her, and loved the little faces they have. Sadly, this Lovebird wanted nothing to do with me. I couldn't finger train her or get near her. She wouldn't have it. But I never stopped wanting another Lovebird. I find them just
enchanting and adorable !
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, 1 Female Senegal Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:15 am

But lovebirds can be tamed, Patrick. I would not do it myself but I have been fortunate to have had two that were very friendly to people! Both were females, one was given up because of aggression but she was the sweetest thing ever, and the other was found lost by a couple who did not want birds so she ended up with me. Both had mates, nested, laid eggs and even incubated them but they always remained loving to me. Matilda, the first one and my Princess birdie (my grandkids always remember that I used to call her that), died years ago but Peachy, the second one, was recently rehomed to a very good home along with her mate, Jerry (an ex-breeder that was beginning to trust me enough to perch on my shoulder out of its own initiative), and they are both doing very well.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DanaandPod » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:59 pm

What happens to all the Petco and other pet store budgie parakeets that aren't sold???
Although i disagree with the term "starter bird" parakeets seem safer for an older child, than ever any parrot.
I agree, i adore my parakeets. They are beautiful in flight. I especially love to look at their eyes up close. And, i love to see their bottom eye lids close up when i whistle a tune. They also enjoy flute singular concertos. And, they lift their wings in a hello gesture to me, upon waking or me entering.
At night, if they see me with the cover, they ready themselves on their sleep perch.
They also brave my parrots cage often. They dont mind.
I had a injury scare with one. But he pulled through, quickly and healthfully, Im proud to say.
But, although i dont have the level of connection with them, i was deeply fearful for their connection to each other. Their loss would break my heart.
I am definitely planning to get another pair, to add to their neighborhood. I would like it, if they all eventually be in same cage.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:11 am

I don't try to interact at all with my budgies but I love them all the same - and my husband, who is not really a parrot person, loves them, too! They are always happy within their little flock, always chattering, always flitting here and there, and always so very beautiful to look at!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care