Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Getting A GCC (Green Cheek Conure), Any Tips?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Getting A GCC (Green Cheek Conure), Any Tips?

Postby skye_05 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:08 am

I'm looking into getting a Green Cheek Conure. I've done a ton of research, but after the deaths of both of my previous parakeets, I'm afraid I'm missing some important bird care details. If you don't mind, could you help me and give me some tips and tricks/important details about bird care? Thanks~ :danicing:
skye_05
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Getting A GCC (Green Cheek Conure), Any Tips?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:09 am

The two most important things to take into consideration about GCCs is that they require an inordinate amount of time spent with them. Much more than all other species with the exception of the cockatoos. They are extremely needy little birds that end up screaming, biting and/or plucking when they don't get enough hours of attention from their chosen human. People see them small and figure they are an 'easy parrot' but that cannot be further from the true - and if you look at all the GCCs that are given up in CL, you would get a good idea of why this happens. The other thing is diet. They are mainly fruit eaters in the wild and cannot be free-fed any type of protein food or they get terribly hormonal and start getting all stressed out by it. A strict solar schedule, flight for, at least, a couple of hours a day (in the middle of the day, mind you) and a good quality full spectrum light and you are all set!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care