Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Growling in sleep

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Growling in sleep

Postby Emmadee » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:37 am

So for the past few months my bird has been growling at night and it's totally random and waking me up and I have no idea why he's doing it. It's really loud it's like a low pitch scream plz help he has a dark cage cover and I don't see anything wrong with his cage
Emmadee
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Severe Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Growling in sleep

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:27 am

Welcome to the forum! Is it possible that a mouse gets in? Maybe light or noises like through a crack in the material that covers the cage which allows light to go in -it could be from a window- or noises from the street? There has to be something that is waking him up and upsetting him for him to growl... My senegals do kind of half-wake when I come downstairs to get my dessert but they don't growl, they just make a soft noise like a low UUUUP.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 am

He may be having a night mare.

In the winter when it was cold I cover my birds cage but leave one section at the end of a perch open. If they hear a noise then they look out to see what it was. It was usually a dog making noise but they want to know. In FL I just keep their room the temperature that they want and though they all want to sleep in their cage I do not cover them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby GreenWing » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:41 pm

I'm with Liz, may be your parrot is having a night mare...
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Return to General Parrot Care