Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Budgies not kissing

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Budgies not kissing

Postby DanaandPod » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi. My two budgies have stopped preening each other, and kissing. And making those sweet budgie sounds. Other wise they eat great! And, get out of cage time. Possibly, they stopped since a summer ago, one of my parrots bit one budgies leg. Now fully recovered. So what happened, do you think? They obviously dont live in fear, since theyre brave enough to still go in and out of the parrots cages. Why no kissy sounds? Theyre hardly ever on the same perch.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Budgies not kissing

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:17 am

:lol: Maybe they want 'greener pastures'... My budgies don't really preen each other or kiss or anything unless it's breeding season [they are more flock-oriented than pair-oriented] and now is molting season so, although the hens still show the brown cere, it's beginning to fade. Aside from that, out of the six I have, only two have bonded with each other as mates [Flora and Blue who abandoned his first companion, Chloe] but that's fine because they haven't known each other for very long and they still have their little flock going on so they are happy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Well they are on the same perch as i write this, making happy warbling sounds. Still not preening each other though. I hope to get another pair so that its a flock of four budgies one day. :budgie: :budgie:
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:56 am

For a group of budgies to have flock dynamics, you need, at the very least, three pairs - two will not do it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care