Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My bird wont let me preen them!

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

My bird wont let me preen them!

Postby Waffles » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:59 pm

So my cockatiel is starting to get pin feathers and won't let me touch their head or stay still, so what do I do? do I force them or is there another way?
Waffles
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: My bird wont let me preen them!

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:20 am

There is no real need for people to preen pin feathers. If the bird allows it, it is a good bonding tool when you do it super carefully [because it hurts them when the pin is not 'ready' to be preened out or even when it is but you do it roughly] but it's not as if you HAVE to do it and forcing the bird to accept your touch when it doesn't want it is flooding so it's never recommended. Just give it a good bath but be careful not to do it too often because cockatiels are VERY opportunistic breeders and baths make them hormonal [in the wild, they go into condition at the end of the rainy season, preparing to have babies during the dry when there is plenty of food].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care