Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gone for a year

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Gone for a year

Postby Waffles » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:24 pm

once I reach college I will be gone for a year and I wont be able to bring my cockatiel with me! I don't trust my mother to truly bond with my bird the way I did and I'm afraid he will die or develop a bad habit! what do I do? I'm going to be in a foreign country across the seas

-sincerely, a stressed bird lover
Waffles
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Gone for a year

Postby Navre » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:14 am

Maybe the best thing is to get another cockatiel of the opposite sex. Cockatiels seem to do really well in pairs and in flocks.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby stevesjk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:43 am

Yeah you really need to get your tiel a friend to make your absence less traumatic.
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:20 am

I agree completely with the two previous advices. If you can trust your mother to care for birds properly [diet, flight time, light schedule, etc], get your bird a mate and put both of them in a large flight cage. BUT, if you don't trust her to do the right thing, rehome him to somebody who has more tiels and takes good care of them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Rmoses » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Dear Mom of Waffles,
You just got Waffles in June and now you are leaving. That is unfortunate. Did you find someone to care for Waffles? What country do you live. You said that your grandmother has many birds in Mexico, which state does he live. I live in the state of Yucatan. If she is near maybe I could correspond with her regarding the birds. I would really be interested in the type of birds she has. Good luck with Waffles and enjoy your time in school overseas.
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby liz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:28 am

Can you board him at a rescue for the year?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:04 am

Liz, what kind of life would he have all alone without a companion bird or human for an entire year in a rescue? Parrots are not 'boarding' material, generally speaking [not that I believe in boarding any animal, mind you!]. Sometimes, owners have no choice but to do it -I don't agree with it but I can see how it might be inevitable in some situations- but it needs to be a short stay.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Waffles » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:10 pm

Dear rmosses, I will be applying for college right now but wont be gone till September 2018, so I still have lots of time to be with waffles, but I would like to find a way to keep him entertained while gone, so maybe another cockatiel is the right choice?
Waffles
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Navre » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:54 am

Waffles wrote:Dear rmosses, I will be applying for college right now but wont be gone till September 2018, so I still have lots of time to be with waffles, but I would like to find a way to keep him entertained while gone, so maybe another cockatiel is the right choice?

Cockatiels almost always do better in pairs, or flocks. Just be sure to get the opposite sex. You have the best chance at them bonding that way.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:12 am

John [Navre] is correct. Cockatiels should never be alone, it's too stressful and sad for them, so, getting him a mate would not only solve your problem but would also be a huge kindness to him!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General Parrot Care