Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tail feather loose ?!?!?!?!?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Tail feather loose ?!?!?!?!?

Postby Waffles » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:03 pm

My Cockatiel has just freaked out lately, flying around the room and eventually hitting against something. obviously I started to freak out because he might be hurt, and I notice that his tail feather isn't off of his body, but Its loose!! what should I do? is there a way for it to go back on or do I pull it out? I don't want to pull it out because he just barely got his tail feathers 2 weeks ago.
Waffles
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Tail feather loose ?!?!?!?!?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:02 am

Don't do anything, it will fall by itself. And don't worry about it, either. It usually takes them about an entire year before they grow strong feathers once they start eating a good diet [weak feathers indicate a dietary deficiency] so just concentrate on providing a good diet [gloop and a different green for breakfast -they are not big on fruit, a good quality seed mix for dinner and a multivitamin/mineral supplement -but don't overdo it with this!].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care