Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Meat eating oar4ot

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Meat eating oar4ot

Postby Jayne » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:25 pm

I have a 15 year old African grey who goes mad over steak or chicken she loves the marrow in the bones anyone else gav3 a parrot like this :gray:
Jayne
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Meat eating oar4ot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:39 am

ALL parrots love fat [I have an ARB that I have to hide my buttered bread from because she will steal a beakful of the butter any chance she gets :D ]. High fat and high protein [both characteristics of marrow] are seldom found in large quantities in nature so they have a craving for it. But animal fat is real, real, real bad for them because, with the exception of a couple of species, all parrots are herbivores so the only kind they get is vegetal fat never animal which has a lot of cholesterol -something parrots did not evolve to consume at all as only animal fat has bad cholesterol in it. I would STRONGLY recommend you stop feeding your gray animal products because all that animal fat is going straight into her liver and her arteries. Has she had a bile acid test lately? If not, I suggest you do one and see how her liver is doing...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Meat eating oar4ot

Postby GreenWing » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:46 am

Yeeeeeah, it's best to have a low protein diet for your bird, so stay away from chicken and the like. Plant based proteins are good, such as quinoa.
Although, I've been yelled at on here for giving my African Grey a teeeeeeny-tiny bit of salmon once in a blue moon. ;)
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Return to General Parrot Care