Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Showers

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Showers

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Here are Kili and Duke getting their showers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7DwQSUeOM

Anyone else shower their birds? Do you use a towel as well? I only use water but anyone use any kind of cleaning solution? Does anyone have a parrot that actually enjoys showers?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Showers

Postby macawlover2 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:49 pm

My parrots enjoy showers when the want to. :P My military goes crazy for them, my grey likes them 50% of the time, and it's a hit or miss with my B&G macaw. I take all three into the shower at once though, and have multiple shower perches in there for them.
The previous owners of my military used dish soap mixed with water to give him showers with, but I figured that can't be safe! So instead, I mix aloe vera juice with the water. Aloe vera is good stuff! You can rub it on their skin to heal cuts/sores, you can use it in showers for them, and you can even give some to them to drink.

I wish my grey liked showers more than he does, though! He's the dustiest bird out of all three of 'em.
macawlover2
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Military macaw, Blue and gold macaw, and a congo african grey.

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:55 pm

How bad is African Grey dust anyway? Is it intolerable for folks with allergies? Are they as bad as a cockatoo?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:33 am

Michael wrote:How bad is African Grey dust anyway? Is it intolerable for folks with allergies? Are they as bad as a cockatoo?

I think I have allergies to that kind of dust, not severe, but enough my nose would stuff up and my eyes be itchy at times when I went in my parents' basement (big birds' room). At the time, they only had the two greys and one of the 'toos. My mom noticed this and my parents then bought an air purifier, which helped tremendously as I then no longer had any allergies symptoms and on top of helping me, it probably did some good to the birds as well.

I would say the 'toos are worst than the greys when it comes to producing dust (must keep those feathers white!), my hands would clearly feel more dusty after holding a 'too than after holding a grey and the deposit of dust on my cloths would be greater if a 'too lay on me than if a grey did.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby MandyG » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:44 pm

I shower with my bird. He really likes it and becomes very active and chatty. He understands what it means when I ask him if he wants to have a shower and he starts to get excited. :P

I don't use a towel usually. During the winter I will sometimes if he's really wet and I'll just wrap him into the towel for a minute or so to get some of the water off of him so he dries faster.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby MissLady9902 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm glad your amazon likes showers! I tried to give Marvin a shower yesterday he did alright until the water touched him. Once the water touched him he freaked out and chomped on my wrist. So he get's misted for now. Marvin doesn't like being misted but he's not afraid of it and my wrist is safe.
Noodle takes showers with me. I wrap Marvin in a towel for a few min's to get the excess water off. When Noodle get's out of the shower I make a Noodle burrito with a hand towel then kiss his face because he's little and can't get away! Then I un-roll him and put him on his playtop where he puffs up, preens and makes loud noises. (I think he likes it)
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:44 pm

MissLady9902 wrote:When Noodle get's out of the shower I make a Noodle burrito with a hand towel then kiss his face because he's little and can't get away!

Awe! That's so cute!
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby tattoo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:05 pm

I shower with mine and he loves it! I have a perch for him in the shower and once i am done i put my arm out and let him get under the water on his own. Problem is getting him out. Once he is under he keeps trying to get back under till he is soaked to the skin. I try not to let him do that too often.

I always wrap him in a towel for a few seconds but in the winter i blow dry him. He seems to enjoy it. i am very careful not to get it hot and not to get to close.
tattoo
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Postby Suzzique » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Alex hates showers. I'm still working with him to get him use to them agian. He took a fall when he was a baby and chipped off the end of his beak and has been scard ever sense. But he does take a bath about once a week in his large water dish on his playstand. He is extreamly dusty. Not as bad as a too but I do tend to turn grey after he's been on me preening for a while. So if you can't have or be around a too due to the dust a grey would not be any better.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby oknuma » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:07 pm

i cant see the vids from work but batman is a shower tolerater only LOL
She comes for a shower every night but spends most o the time up on the shower door watching me instead of getting in.

She does however love love love her kitchen sink bathing. I turn the tap on and she jumps in and loves it.
~~Oknuma - mum to two human kids, 1 feathered kid and one furry kid~~
oknuma
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Currently Eastern Rosella - Batman

Next

Return to General Parrot Care