Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Am I doing this right? B&G Macaw

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Am I doing this right? B&G Macaw

Postby Traci0921 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 am

I have recently rescued a B&G Macaw (1 month ago). Just wanted to give you a typical schedule and make sure I'm doing my best for him.

7:30 - Uncover cage, turn on light in room and open window
8:00 - Pellets (and some of his old seed mix) in food dish
8:30 - I give him a pistachio when I leave for work
12:30 - Lunch. Typically a bit of whatever I am having
5:00 - I return home
6:00 - Out of cage time / training begins
8:00 - Return to cage
8:00 - bowl of fresh produce / quinoa offered
8:30 - cage covered / lights out

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
Traci0921
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, B&G Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Am I doing this right? B&G Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:20 am

Hmmm, no, I am afraid that you are not. Let me explain. For one thing, you are not following a solar schedule - if you were, the cage would be uncovered at 6:30 am and the lights not turned on until 8:30 am. You would not free-feed protein food. The lights would be turned off at 3:30 pm, dinner served at 4:00 and the bird would be asleep by 5:45 or 6 pm. The way you are doing it, his endocrine system cannot go back on track because you are manipulating light and making the day too long. Macaws breed at 12 hours of light in the wild and you are giving him 13!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Traci0921 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:45 am

I could change the morning routine and what food I leave in the cage, but I don't return home during the week until 5pm. If I fed him and put him to bed then - I'd have no time with him.

Not sure how to address this.
Traci0921
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:06 pm

I am sorry to say that I don't have a solution for that, either, and it is a big problem because you can't change the way nature evolved their bodies. All birds are photoperiodic and there is nothing anybody can do about that. Even domesticated species like chickens and canaries still need to follow the solar schedule and, when they don't [like laying chickens in those awful farms where they keep the light on so they would lay more eggs], they die young. It's rare that I rehome a bird but, when I do, one of my conditions is that the person can only work part time and, preferably, at night.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 am

All you can do is the best you can. There are so few owners who can do it all ideally. Always be working toward what’s best. Just the fact that you’re asking what to do makes you better than half the bird owners already.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 am

Indeed! I wholeheartedly second that sentiment!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Traci0921 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Thank you. I really do just want him to be happy and healthy. I'm reading several sources and asking all I can. I can't do worse than where he was, but I want to do MY best.

I just need a :macaw: expert to move in for a week or so! :lol:

Thank you for all of your help.
Traci0921
Parrotlet

Return to General Parrot Care