Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Breeding GCC advice request

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Breeding GCC advice request

Postby Tulsi qi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:24 pm

Hey there parrot forum people!!! I have a request for some general questions and inquires .

The story is my partner and I adopted two green cheeks from
Separate clutches , one being a pineapple and one being a yellow sided ( unsexed ).
We kept them sleeping in separated cages for the first year to increase bond with us VS their bond but around a year of
Owning them we realized quiet obviously that they had chosen to
Be and we’re a mating pair . The second year we decided
To give
Then the space
Together and around breeding season have them their nesting box and so
And and so forth but none of
The babes made it . Now we are entering their third year. We have a small
House and the cage is in the decently sized bedroom now
In knowing their need for a darker and quieter space , so we have sectioned off a corner of
The room with tapestries to give them their little secluded zone.

That’s the story we’re hoping for a success this time around and I’ve
Some a bunch of browsing for info but haven’t found much on specifics of mating pair care , behaviors and all and the step by step process to support them on their parental
Journey.

First point of info on is the male seeming to love her up and protect her but also
Getting semi aggressive with her ? Confused about that we have been giving them as much space and quietness as we can and only cleaning and changing food water when we have too .
Also when is it safe to check on eggs if they are laid and when is a good time to take baby’s for hand feeding ?? Will this greatly affect the parents ?

Any tips and advice much appreciated .

:gcc:
Tulsi qi
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: GCC
Flight: No

Re: Breeding GCC advice request

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:49 am

Well, you will have to forgive me but I don't give advice on breeding. But, one thing I can tell you and that is that breeding birds is not a matter of getting a pair to bond and giving them a nest. You need to know a lot about the species, its point of photorefractoriness, the best kind of environment [temperature and moisture], nest, physiology, dietary needs, etc. It's not easy and it's not something you can learn from the internet because so many things can go wrong -as you have already experienced when you lost all the babies they have produced. For one thing, this is the wrong time of the year for them to be producing eggs...

You should also have a plan for what to do with the babies because, if you keep them, you will need to make sure they don't procreate [inbreeding] and, if you don't, you need to make sure they go to good homes -which are not so easy to find.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 am

Buy fake eggs and swap them out
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Tulsi qi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Prajarita you are forgiven but as you stated you don’t know what your talking about and may as well not have posted. First off i have done a fair amount of research and I am just asking for further advice
From
Someone who has successfully done breeding with green cheeks . Secondly
It is there breeding time of year ( January and February ) are normal time of year where the birds are native. And finally we are just wanting to assist in at least one succuessful clutch as the birds
Really would like to do it and we have friends
And family
That would love
To have their own .

Thanks
Tulsi qi
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: GCC
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:45 am

Actually, I did not state that I did not know about breeding, I simply said that I do not give advice on it. I actually know about it as I have been breeding canaries for close to 30 years now [and VERY successfully, I might add, as I have zero hatchling mortality and zero DIS -for the ones who don't know, this means Dead In Shell] and I can assure you that there is no way you can learn all you need to know from the internet. You need to be there, hands-on and go through two entire seasons, at least, looking over the shoulder of somebody who is experienced in it and learning from him/her. Reading about it doesn't go far enough, you need to see things happening with your own two eyes. If reading about it in the internet or asking somebody over an email or the phone was enough, you wouldn't have lost the babies [mind you, I am not trying to make you feel bad, I am simply stating a fact your provided that supports my argument].

And, yes, you are correct that they start breeding in February in the wild but you also need to take into consideration that, where they come from, there are over 13 hours of light in Mid February while, here in the States [I don't know where you are so, if you are not in USA, use your own location to calculate] there are about 11.5 hours only [this is where the point of photorefractoriness I mentioned comes into the equation]. An hour and a half difference might not sound like much to us but I can assure you it makes all the difference when it comes to avian photoperiodism and breeding condition.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care