Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sun conure does not want to leave cage

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Sun conure does not want to leave cage

Postby madeofvoid » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:07 pm

My sunny used to willing come out of his cage, in fact, he used to refuse going back in! but now it's the other way around... It seems like whenever i try to get him to "step up" he gets angry/scared and tries to bite my hand. But he wants my attention, and ill keep the cage open and sit in the kitchen while im eating or on my laptop or ill sit next to his cage. Sometime he'll climb around the top of the cage and just hang out. and Sometimes he'll peek out of the cage door and ill put my shoulder near it. When I do this, he either just plays with my shirt, or occasionally climbs onto me.
In addition, He used to be close to my mom but now he doesnt want anything to do with her and gets really aggressive...which she's upset about.
I feel bad for coaxing him to come out and I dont want to force him. I just dont want him inside his cage all day. :(
I dont know why he's so suddenly being hostile. He's always been clear about how he doesnt like to be handled (for example he does not like being grabbed, so I dont do it). I just need some advice because this change in behavior has been tough on me ( and im sure it's also tough on him).
M A N G O :sun:
madeofvoid
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Sun conure does not want to leave cage

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:20 pm

It seems to me that this is a hormonal problem but we need more information to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it: how old is he? Is he DNA'd a he or you just decided to call him a 'he'? how long have you had him? what is his diet? what is his light schedule? who is his main caregiver? how many hours of out-of-cage time and how many of one-on-one? where is his cage located? does the cage have a cover on it or does the bird have a hut in it? is he clipped or fully flighted?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care