Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

screeching bird

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

screeching bird

Postby yantic19 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm

not sure where to post this. a friend has a senegal that screeches constantly. their very quiet grey is picking it up now. her husband and her are being driven nuts.i tried to tell her it's a bird thing that she has to live with. her husband wants to rehome the bird, she does not. she wonders if there's anything she can do to get him to do it less. any ideas of something i can tell her?
yantic19
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: lovebirds and a yellow winged parakeet
Flight: No

Re: screeching bird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:04 am

No, I am afraid that it is not a 'bird thing'. Not even parrots that are known for frequent and loud vocalizations [like sun conures, jendays, sundays and quakers] scream all the time - and senegals are considered one of the 'quiet' species... In my personal experience [I got a female senegal that was given up because of the same problem: constant screaming], this only happens when the bird is deeply unhappy but we need answers to the following questions to figure out what it is that it's making the bird so unhappy:
- how old is the bird?
- how long have they had it?
- what does it eat?
- how many hours of out-of-cage and one-on-one time?
- is the bird kept to a human or a solar light schedule?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby yantic19 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:19 am

i will ask my friend these questions and get back to you.
yantic19
Parakeet

Postby yantic19 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:42 pm

my friend says the bird is 15, she got him as a baby but doesn't remember the exact age. he spends 2 hours out of his cage, and could probably use more 1 on 1 time. the lighting is just what they have in there home.he eats a mixture of seed and pellets, some green and red grapes, nuts, popcorn, and assorted human snacks. i have been his petsitter a couple of tmes and he didn't screech that much, which could just because in was in a different enviroment. i think i answered all your questions, and really hope for her sake we can get to the route of his problem/s. thanks so much.
yantic19
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am

Oh, my... Well, under a human light schedule, free-fed protein, getting only two hours out-of-cage and, most likely no real one-on-one time for 15 years, you have a bird that is in constant pain and extremely [EXTREMELY!] sexually frustrated. The bird screeches all the time because the bird is suffering - BIG TIME!!! You can't free-feed protein, keep them at a breeding light schedule all the bird's life and ignore the bird almost all day long and have a healthy and happy bird. It's impossible. Parrots are highly social and need to have company 24/7/365 - some of them resign themselves to living all their lives lonely but most of them don't. Plus, no bird was created by nature to be hormonal all year round, year after year after year after year [this poor thing's sexual organs must be so big by now that his other internal organs are been pushed aside by them -causing chronic pain]. Birds are not like mammals, they only produce sexual hormones when there are long days and rich food but, in nature, this doesn't happen all year round, only during breeding season and, when this period is over, the sexual organs stop producing sexual hormones, become dormant and shrink BUT, if you keep the long days and rich food all year round and year after year, the organs keep on growing and growing - this is what has been happening to this poor bird for 15 whole years and it's a miracle the bird is not peeing blood or self-mutilating...

These are the changes they need to make to fix things:

1. The bird should be kept at a strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk [this means uncovering the cage when there is the first light on the sky with no artificial lights on before the sun is up in the sky in the morning or after the sun is halfway down to the horizon and complete darkness and quiet for the night to ensure quality sleep].

2. It should be fed only one tablespoon of protein food [pellets, seeds, nuts, avicakes, nutriberries] for dinner and chop/mash/gloop accompanied by raw produce for breakfast and all day picking.

3. It needs to fly, at the very least, 4 hours a day [this is the rule of thumb but, personally, I think it's not enough for them to be out-of-cage for only 4 hours a day].

4. It needs to have, at the very least, 2 hours of one-on-one with its chosen human [and this means the human paying attention to the bird all the time].

Now, they are not going to see a change in the bird for many months because the longer an endocrine system is out of whack, the longer it takes to get it back to where it's supposed to be so they need to patient, consistent and persistent but, if they are, the bird will, eventually, go back to a normal behavior. Another thing they need to take into consideration is that a screwed up endocrine system does not only cause 'behavioral' problems [not that an animal screaming in pain is a 'behavioral' problem], it has medical consequence, too, because it depresses the immune system, affects cell regeneration, mood, appetite, sleep, etc. And free-feeding protein food causes liver [fatty liver] and kidney [high uric acid] malfunction as well as cardio-vascular disease [enlarged heart, strokes, etc] so I suggest they also treat the bird with liver and kidney cleansers and tonics like milk thistle, dandelion root, methionine, theanine, etc.

I have to tell you and I hope neither you nor your friends take this the wrong way but your postings is gonna screw up my entire week and possibly even longer - I know myself and I know I am going to be thinking of this poor little bird suffering, stuck in a cage all alone... I don't know where your friends live but, if they are anywhere in the Northeast, I would offer to board the bird, completely free of charge, for some months until it's back to where it should be and then all they would have to do is continue the proper care. I would sign any papers they would want me to stating the bird is theirs and not mind to keep - it's not that I want the bird for myself but bringing back a bird that has been under the wrong care for so long is not easy or fast and it's hard on 'regular' people but I am used to it so, if they feel they would not be able to do it, I can help them get to a point they can manage.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby yantic19 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 pm

ok, let me see if i can let my friend know all this first. then hopefully get back to you.
yantic19
Parakeet

Postby yantic19 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Pajarita wrote:Oh, my... Well, under a human light schedule, free-fed protein, getting only two hours out-of-cage and, most likely no real one-on-one time for 15 years, you have a bird that is in constant pain and extremely [EXTREMELY!] sexually frustrated. The bird screeches all the time because the bird is suffering - BIG TIME!!! You can't free-feed protein, keep them at a breeding light schedule all the bird's life and ignore the bird almost all day long and have a healthy and happy bird. It's impossible. Parrots are highly social and need to have company 24/7/365 - some of them resign themselves to living all their lives lonely but most of them don't. Plus, no bird was created by nature to be hormonal all year round, year after year after year after year [this poor thing's sexual organs must be so big by now that his other internal organs are been pushed aside by them -causing chronic pain]. Birds are not like mammals, they only produce sexual hormones when there are long days and rich food but, in nature, this doesn't happen all year round, only during breeding season and, when this period is over, the sexual organs stop producing sexual hormones, become dormant and shrink BUT, if you keep the long days and rich food all year round and year after year, the organs keep on growing and growing - this is what has been happening to this poor bird for 15 whole years and it's a miracle the bird is not peeing blood or self-mutilating...

1. The bird should be kept at a strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk [this means uncovering the cage when there is the first light on the sky with no artificial lights on before the sun is up in the sky in the morning or after the sun is halfway down to the horizon and complete darkness and quiet for the night to ensure quality sleep].

2. It should be fed only one tablespoon of protein food [pellets, seeds, nuts, avicakes, nutriberries] for dinner and chop/mash/gloop accompanied by raw produce for breakfast and all day picking.

3. It needs to fly, at the very least, 4 hours a day [this is the rule of thumb but, personally, I think it's not enough for them to be out-of-cage for only 4 hours a day].

4. It needs to have, at the very least, 2 hours of one-on-one with its chosen human [and this means the human paying attention to the bird all the time].

Now, they are not going to see a change in the bird for many months because the longer an endocrine system is out of whack, the longer it takes to get it back to where it's supposed to be so they need to patient, consistent and persistent but, if they are, the bird will, eventually, go back to a normal behavior. Another thing they need to take into consideration is that a screwed up endocrine system does not only cause 'behavioral' problems [not that an animal screaming in pain is a 'behavioral' problem], it has medical consequence, too, because it depresses the immune system, affects cell regeneration, mood, appetite, sleep, etc. And free-feeding protein food causes liver [fatty liver] and kidney [high uric acid] malfunction as well as cardio-vascular disease [enlarged heart, strokes, etc] so I suggest they also treat the bird with liver and kidney cleansers and tonics like milk thistle, dandelion root, methionine, theanine, etc.

I have to tell you and I hope neither you nor your friends take this the wrong way but your postings is gonna screw up my entire week and possibly even longer - I know myself and I know I am going to be thinking of this poor little bird suffering, stuck in a cage all alone... I don't know where your friends live but, if they are anywhere in the Northeast, I would offer to board the bird, completely free of charge, for some months until it's back to where it should be and then all they would have to do is continue the proper care. I would sign any papers they would want me to stating the bird is theirs and not mind to keep - it's not that I want the bird for myself but bringing back a bird that has been under the wrong care for so long is not easy or fast and it's hard on 'regular' people but I am used to it so, if they feel they would not be able to do it, I can help them get to a point they can manage.
Pajarita wrote:Oh, my... Well, under a human light schedule, free-fed protein, getting only two hours out-of-cage and, most likely no real one-on-one time for 15 years, you have a bird that is in constant pain and extremely [EXTREMELY!] sexually frustrated. The bird screeches all the time because the bird is suffering - BIG TIME!!! You can't free-feed protein, keep them at a breeding light schedule all the bird's life and ignore the bird almost all day long and have a healthy and happy bird. It's impossible. Parrots are highly social and need to have company 24/7/365 - some of them resign themselves to living all their lives lonely but most of them don't. Plus, no bird was created by nature to be hormonal all year round, year after year after year after year [this poor thing's sexual organs must be so big by now that his other internal organs are been pushed aside by them -causing chronic pain]. Birds are not like mammals, they only produce sexual hormones when there are long days and rich food but, in nature, this doesn't happen all year round, only during breeding season and, when this period is over, the sexual organs stop producing sexual hormones, become dormant and shrink BUT, if you keep the long days and rich food all year round and year after year, the organs keep on growing and growing - this is what has been happening to this poor bird for 15 whole years and it's a miracle the bird is not peeing blood or self-mutilating...

yantic19
Parakeet

Postby yantic19 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:44 am

i told my friend to join and read through all you wrote. she is very greatful for your information.now it's up to her.
yantic19
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:13 am

I am glad I could be of help. And, please, do tell her to join and post ANY and ALL questions she might have. We are here to help and not to judge - and this is because we know it's not the parrots owners' fault they make mistakes, it's the pet industry that gives them the wrong information in order to sell their 'product', but also because we have all been there and done that when it comes to mistakes in our husbandry - and, most likely and unfortunately, we will continue to make mistakes because we know so little about their proper care...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General Parrot Care